Biomedical Engineering - A Good Choice?

In summary, Nick is currently in applied math grad school but is not enjoying it and wants to start fresh with engineering. He is considering biomedical or mechanical engineering but has minimal background in biology and chemistry. He plans to take intro courses to see if they are a good fit. He is seeking advice from engineers in those fields. The conversation also discusses the differences between biology and physics/mathematics and the preferred backgrounds for PhDs in bioengineering departments. There is a program at Strathclyde University that offers a 4-year EngD program for non-biologists to catch up on biology courses before starting their PhD.
NT123
Hi, I have already completed a BSc in math in England, and am currently in applied math grad school, which I am not enjoying at all. I have decided I want to start afresh with engineering, and I am thinking of biomedical engineering ( second choice mechanical engineering ). I have had minimal biology and chemistry background (last time I took them was about 7 years ago in high school), so I am not even sure whether I would like them. I'm going to be taking some intro courses in them next semester so hopefully I'll get a better idea as to whether they will suit me.
I'd be very grateful if any biomedical (or mechanical) engineers or engineering majors could give me some advice / tell me how they are finding their course / job.

Regards, Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
I have worked in a bioengineering department for a while: what would you like to know?

I did my undergraduate in physics, and went straight to bioengineering after that. I had zero (didn't even do biology past 2nd year in high school) biology experience, so it was a little hit-the-ground-running in that respect. I found it pretty easy to pick up - but difficult to accept. Biology has a different way from doing things than physics or mathematics. For instance, in pharmacology, there were a lot of 'explanations' of the action pathways of particular drugs. Lots of these pathways/interactions were not fully understood: but that's ok, because we know that if you take drug X with condition Y then it makes you feel better.

I enjoyed the work I did - but it's such a huge field that you can't really ask something that general. The work is so tremendously varied in academia, that people that different people that would each consider themselves bioengineers won't even be able to hold a conversation because they have no idea what the other is talking about.

One thing that I found was that bioengineering departments tend to favour 'pure' degrees when they're recruiting for PhDs. That is, mechanical/electrical engineering, physics, maths. Rather than a bioengineering undergraduate. The reason for that is that they're bringing you in for your ability to solve equations (or some other skill you might have from undergrad) - you don't always need to worry about understanding the biology at the start of a PhD, and what you do need you can pick up.

I know someone who came from a program at Strathclyde university, http://www.strath.ac.uk/dtc/, where the EngD is a 4 year programme - year one is essentially a masters (that you get paid to do) of biology courses - designed as a sort of biology crash course for non-biologists. Then years 2, 3, 4 are the 'PhD'.

1. What is Biomedical Engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles of engineering, biology, and medicine to design and develop solutions for healthcare and medical problems. It involves the application of engineering concepts to healthcare, including the development of medical devices, diagnostic tools, and therapies.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a career in Biomedical Engineering?

There are several benefits to pursuing a career in Biomedical Engineering. Some of the major benefits include the opportunity to make a positive impact on people's lives by developing life-saving medical technologies, a high demand for professionals in this field, and a competitive salary. Additionally, Biomedical Engineering offers a wide range of career paths, including research, design, development, and management roles.

3. What skills are required to be successful in Biomedical Engineering?

To be successful in Biomedical Engineering, one must have a strong foundation in math, physics, and biology. Additionally, good problem-solving and analytical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team are essential. Strong communication skills and the ability to apply engineering principles to real-world medical problems are also important.

4. Is a degree in Biomedical Engineering worth it?

Yes, a degree in Biomedical Engineering can be worth it for those interested in a career in this field. It provides a unique combination of engineering and medical knowledge, making graduates highly sought after by employers. It also offers a wide range of job opportunities and the potential for career advancement.

5. What are the current advancements and future developments in Biomedical Engineering?

Biomedical Engineering is a rapidly growing field, and there are many current advancements and future developments in this area. Some of the current advancements include the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning in medical devices and diagnostics, the development of personalized medicine, and the use of 3D printing in creating customized medical devices. Future developments may include the use of nanotechnology in medicine, the development of implantable bioelectronics, and the further integration of technology and medicine for improved patient care.