Best Undergrad degree for Biomedical engineer

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's desire to switch their major to biomedical engineering and their interest in chemical engineering. However, their current university does not offer chemical engineering as a major, leading to the question of whether they should transfer to another school. There is also a discussion on the different subfields of biomedical engineering and how the choice of undergraduate degree may affect future research opportunities. Ultimately, the suggestion is to choose a major closest to the subfield that interests the individual and to look into graduate program requirements for further guidance.
Mddrill
Hi, I am currently a junior in college majoring in civil engineering. I want to switch my major so I can get into a ph.d program for biomedical engineering. I've read the three best majors to get into biomedical engineering are electrical, mechanical, and chemical. Chemical engineering sounds very interesting and I think as a biomedical engineer I would be more interested in projects involving biochemistry vs making AED's or prosthetic limbs, but my school (Florida Atlantic University) does not offer chemical engineering as a major, so I would have to transfer to a different school where I wouldn't know anybody, and I don't think I would be able to get in until next spring so I don't know what I would do until then.

Will the undergraduate degree I choose have a large effect on what type of research I am able to do as a Biomedical engineer?
Should I look into transferring to a different school? or just go with mechanical or electrical engineering for my undergrad degree?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
There are different subfields of biomedical engineering. Some are closer to mechanical or electrical or chemical. Choose a major closest to the subfield that seems most interesting to you. My wife has a Mech E undergrad degree and specializes in orthopedic biomechanics. Google up some biomechanics journals, it's a lot more than artificial limbs.

Likes mechpeac
What would be the best undergraduate degree for neuroengineering? What about genetic engineering?

To me, you seem to be interested in the more chemistry-related bioengineering fields, so why not go for that?

Look into graduate programs to see if they list their requirements. You may be able to take some biology and chemistry courses as electives and satisfy the requirements.

My degree is mechanical engineering, but my PhD focused on biomechanics.

1. What is the best undergraduate degree for a career in biomedical engineering?

The best undergraduate degree for a career in biomedical engineering is a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biomedical Engineering. This degree program provides a strong foundation in engineering principles, as well as specific knowledge and skills in the field of biomedicine.

2. Are there any specific majors that are recommended for aspiring biomedical engineers?

While a Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering is the most direct path to a career in this field, other majors such as Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering can also be suitable. It is important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths, as well as provides a strong foundation in math and science.

3. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in order to work as a biomedical engineer?

While a graduate degree can provide advanced knowledge and specialization in the field, it is not always necessary to have a graduate degree in order to work as a biomedical engineer. Many entry-level positions in the field only require a bachelor's degree, but some employers may prefer or require a graduate degree for certain roles.

4. What skills are important for success in the field of biomedical engineering?

Some important skills for success in the field of biomedical engineering include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and a strong foundation in math and science. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with other professionals in the field.

5. Are there any specific courses or electives that can be beneficial for aspiring biomedical engineers?

Courses in biology, chemistry, and physiology can provide a strong background in the biological sciences, while courses in computer programming and statistics can be helpful for analyzing and interpreting data. Electives in biomedical instrumentation, biomaterials, and medical imaging can also be beneficial for gaining specialized knowledge in the field.