1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Undergrad degree for Biomedical engineer

1. Feb 21, 2016 #1
    Hi, I am currently a junior in college majoring in civil engineering. I want to switch my major so I can get into a ph.d program for biomedical engineering. I've read the three best majors to get into biomedical engineering are electrical, mechanical, and chemical. Chemical engineering sounds very interesting and I think as a biomedical engineer I would be more interested in projects involving biochemistry vs making AED's or prosthetic limbs, but my school (Florida Atlantic University) does not offer chemical engineering as a major, so I would have to transfer to a different school where I wouldn't know anybody, and I don't think I would be able to get in until next spring so I don't know what I would do until then.

Will the undergraduate degree I choose have a large effect on what type of research I am able to do as a Biomedical engineer?
    Should I look into transferring to a different school? or just go with mechanical or electrical engineering for my undergrad degree?

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2016 #2
    There are different subfields of biomedical engineering. Some are closer to mechanical or electrical or chemical. Choose a major closest to the subfield that seems most interesting to you. My wife has a Mech E undergrad degree and specializes in orthopedic biomechanics. Google up some biomechanics journals, it's a lot more than artificial limbs.

4. Feb 22, 2016 #3
    What would be the best undergraduate degree for neuroengineering? What about genetic engineering?

5. Feb 22, 2016 #4
    To me, you seem to be interested in the more chemistry-related bioengineering fields, so why not go for that?

6. Feb 22, 2016 #5
    Look into graduate programs to see if they list their requirements. You may be able to take some biology and chemistry courses as electives and satisfy the requirements.

7. Feb 22, 2016 #6
    My degree is mechanical engineering, but my PhD focused on biomechanics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook