• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Best Undergrad degree for Biomedical engineer

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, I am currently a junior in college majoring in civil engineering. I want to switch my major so I can get into a ph.d program for biomedical engineering. I've read the three best majors to get into biomedical engineering are electrical, mechanical, and chemical. Chemical engineering sounds very interesting and I think as a biomedical engineer I would be more interested in projects involving biochemistry vs making AED's or prosthetic limbs, but my school (Florida Atlantic University) does not offer chemical engineering as a major, so I would have to transfer to a different school where I wouldn't know anybody, and I don't think I would be able to get in until next spring so I don't know what I would do until then.

Will the undergraduate degree I choose have a large effect on what type of research I am able to do as a Biomedical engineer?
Should I look into transferring to a different school? or just go with mechanical or electrical engineering for my undergrad degree?

Thank You

Answers and Replies

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
There are different subfields of biomedical engineering. Some are closer to mechanical or electrical or chemical. Choose a major closest to the subfield that seems most interesting to you. My wife has a Mech E undergrad degree and specializes in orthopedic biomechanics. Google up some biomechanics journals, it's a lot more than artificial limbs.

What would be the best undergraduate degree for neuroengineering? What about genetic engineering?

To me, you seem to be interested in the more chemistry-related bioengineering fields, so why not go for that?

Look into graduate programs to see if they list their requirements. You may be able to take some biology and chemistry courses as electives and satisfy the requirements.

My degree is mechanical engineering, but my PhD focused on biomechanics.