What major should I choose for a career in nano/biomedical research?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Fluxy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in developing nano/biomedical sensors and their uncertainty about which major to pursue for grad school. The suggested major for this field is Biomedical Engineering, but it is noted that it is a newer major and may not be as recognized by certain companies. The alternative option is to major in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering and supplement with biology courses. Further research is recommended to determine the best option for future job prospects.
Fluxy
Hi, I'm currently double majoring in physics/biology.
I'm interested in developing nano/biomedical sensors, data visualization, mems etc. anything along this line.
And I was wondering what major I should pursue for grad school if I want to make the most out of my undergrad majors while doing the research I want.
I've looked at mechanical engineering, applied physics, biomedical engineering but I'm not sure what to decide on because the labs I looked in are all dispersed around these fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'd best be served by Biomedical Engineering:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomedical_engineering

but you should be aware that it is a more recent major and that companies interested in engineers will choose ME or EE engineers over BME engineers thinking you're half engineer and half biologist. Similarly form companies interested in biology majors.

Do some research at your school asking profs and job placement people about the prospects of majoring in BME.

The alternative would be to major as an ME or EE and to augment your education with many courses in biology so that you can market yourself as an engineer with a minor in biology. That would allow you to be looked at by engineering firms and companies interested specifically in BME too.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, it's important to consider your interests, skills, and future career goals. You should also think about the job market and potential salary for different majors, as well as the coursework and requirements for each major.

2. How do I know which major is right for me?

Choosing the right major can be a daunting task, but it's important to take the time to research and explore your options. Consider taking classes in different subjects, talking to professors and advisors, and doing internships or shadowing experiences to get a better understanding of what interests you.

3. Is it okay to change my major?

It is completely normal and common to change your major during your college career. It's important to choose a major that you are truly passionate about and that aligns with your goals, so if you find that your current major is not the right fit, it's okay to make a change.

4. Will my major determine my career path?

While your major can certainly influence your career path, it is not the sole determining factor. Many people end up working in fields that are not directly related to their major, and your skills and experiences can also play a role in shaping your career.

5. What resources are available to help me choose a major?

Most colleges and universities have resources such as career centers, academic advisors, and online tools to help students explore and choose a major. These resources can provide valuable information and guidance in making this important decision.