1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Biomedical Engineering graduate school

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    So only few universities offer BME programme in Bachelor Level. If I want to pursue this career, I need to go to graduate school.

Then what Bachelor's degree should I get?
    Is it better to have BSc in Biology or BASc in Mechanical Engineering?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2
    Get an Electrical engineering degree.

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3
    so you mean EE degree is more related to BME than ME?

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4
    Yup. I have no sources but Electrical Engineer is the most general engineering.

Also, isn't biomedical engineering the science that try to solve the medical problems ?

Here's what a poster has to say about BME.

Gotten from here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=144905&page=2

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  6. Jul 23, 2011 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

All the biomedical engineers I know started out in electrical engineering, but as has been posted, that's not the only route.

A bachelor's degree in biology will not prepare you for graduate school in BME. It's good to have some kind of background in biology, but you can learn most of what you need to know as you go through graduate school. The engineering, physics and mathematics involved requires more formal rigour.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook