Biophysics: Amplitude of the pressure wave.

In summary, We are given that the logarithmic intensity of a dolphin's sound is 50dB at a distance of 1m away. Using the equation Intensity = 10Log(I/(10^-16W/cm^2)), we can find that the intensity of the pressure wave is 10^11W/cm^2. To factor in the 20m distance, we can use the surface area of a sphere to find that the power per unit area at 20m away is 10^5 times less than at 1m away. Using the relationship between intensity and distance, we can also simplify the calculation by using the equation 20log(P/Po) to find the change in decibels at different distances
remakm

Homework Statement

Say that the logarithmic intensity of a dolphin's sound is 50dB as measured as 1m away. What would be the ampltude of the pressure wave at 20m from the dolphin?

My Question/Problem: How are you supposed to factor in the 20m away?

Homework Equations

Po= SQrt(2*Density*Velocity*Intensity)

Intensity = 10Log(I/(10^-16W/cm^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

Intensity:
50dB = 10Log(I/10^-16W/cm^2)
5.0dB=Log(I/10^-16W/cm^2)
10^5.0=(I/10^-16W/cm^2)
I=10^16/10^5 = 10^11W/cm^2

This is where I am stuck because I think this is where the 20m factors in, I just don't know how exactly. What I am thinking is before I solve for I, I divide 50dB/20m?? Is that correct?

Once I get the correct value for I, I just plug and chug into the Po equation. If I a completely wrong in my thinking, please guide me in the correct direction. Thank you for you help and time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello remakm,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
remakm said:
Intensity:
50dB = 10Log(I/10^-16W/cm^2)
5.0dB=Log(I/10^-16W/cm^2)
10^5.0=(I/10^-16W/cm^2)
I=10^16/10^5 = 10^11W/cm^2
Double check that very last line in your calculation. I think you divided when you should have multiplied, or used the wrong sign on one of your exponents, or something like that.
This is where I am stuck because I think this is where the 20m factors in, I just don't know how exactly. What I am thinking is before I solve for I, I divide 50dB/20m?? Is that correct?

Once I get the correct value for I, I just plug and chug into the Po equation. If I a completely wrong in my thinking, please guide me in the correct direction. Thank you for you help and time.
From here there are actually a couple of ways you could proceed. But I'll try to stick with the basics to start.

Once you find I you'll know the power per unit area. What's the surface area of sphere of radius 1 meter? Given that, what's the total power?

After you've figured out the total power, ask yourself what is the surface area of a sphere of radius 20 m? So what's the power per unit area 20 m away? (Hint: remember the total power hasn't changed -- only the surface area of the sphere has changed.)

==================================

Solve the problem in the above way first. But later, you might find it useful rework the problem a second time (or third time), keeping in mind some useful things about logarithms and decibels.

[tex] \log (x^2) = 2 \log x [/tex]

And since [itex] I \propto P^2, [/tex] (for constant density, velocity, etc.) [Edit: and just for clarity, I'm using [itex] P [/tex] to represent pressure.]

[tex] 10 \log \left( \frac{I}{I_o} \right) = 10 \log \left( \frac{P^2}{P_o^2} \right) = 20 \log \left( \frac{P}{P_o} \right) [/tex]

For a given total power, there is also a relationship involving I and the distance r away from the source (hint: think back to the radius of a sphere). Can you use a similar trick to the above which involves r? :wink: If you've bothered to follow through up to this point, you'll thank yourself. Finding this relationship (involving how different distances r give a corresponding change in dB), and then reworking the problem makes the problem almost trivial.

Last edited:

1. What is the amplitude of a pressure wave in biophysics?

The amplitude of a pressure wave in biophysics refers to the maximum displacement of a particle from its equilibrium position as the wave passes through a medium. It is a measure of the strength or intensity of the pressure wave.

2. How is the amplitude of a pressure wave related to its frequency?

The amplitude of a pressure wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency of a pressure wave increases, its amplitude also increases.

3. What factors can affect the amplitude of a pressure wave in biophysics?

The amplitude of a pressure wave can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the source of the wave, the medium it travels through, and external forces acting on the medium. Additionally, factors like temperature, pressure, and density can also impact the amplitude of a pressure wave.

4. How is the amplitude of a pressure wave measured?

The amplitude of a pressure wave can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a microphone or pressure transducer. These devices detect the changes in pressure caused by the wave and convert them into an electrical signal that can be measured and recorded.

5. What is the significance of the amplitude of a pressure wave in biophysics research?

The amplitude of a pressure wave is an important parameter in biophysics research as it can provide valuable information about the properties of the medium through which the wave travels. It can also be used to study the effects of pressure waves on biological systems, such as in ultrasound imaging or shock wave therapy.