Biot-Savart for current density in a volume

In summary, the Biot-Savart law states that the current density in a volume is proportional to the mu0 vector multiplied by the r vector.
henrybrent

Homework Statement

The Biot-Savart law for a current density j in a volume V is: [itex] d\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0\vec{j}\times\vec{r}}{4\pi r^3} dV[/itex]

Derive the formula for the magnetic field created by a single point-like particle carrying charge [itex]q[/itex] moving with velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. Explain and justify all important steps.

Homework Equations

[itex] d\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0\vec{j}\times\vec{r}}{4\pi r^3} dV[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I integrate over the whole volume, that will give me B, but it won't be correct for a moving point charge?

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{\vec{j}\times\vec{r}}{ r^3} dV[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not?
You have to think about how to get a current from a point particle with an "infinite" charge density.

mfb said:
Why not?
You have to think about how to get a current from a point particle with an "infinite" charge density.

Sorry, can you elaborate ?

What is your distribution of j? You'll need it to evaluate your integral.

mfb said:
What is your distribution of j? You'll need it to evaluate your integral.
I'm not sure, but;

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{\vec{j}\times\vec{r}}{ r^3} dV[/itex] then,
[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{\vec{v}\times\hat{r}}{ r^2} dq[/itex]

Am I on the right lines?

j and v are not the same. They have completely different units, for example, and v does not depend on the position. Also, your equation is now independent of q, which clearly shows something is wrong.

mfb said:
j and v are not the same. They have completely different units, for example, and v does not depend on the position. Also, your equation is now independent of q, which clearly shows something is wrong.

These are all my lecture notes on the Biot-Savart Law.
BSlaw1.jpg
BsLaw.jpg

That's literally all I have to go on, my lecturer barely went over it at all. I have some textbooks as well, but they just provide me with what I wrote earlier, which you said was wrong?

henrybrent said:
That's literally all I have to go on, my lecturer barely went over it at all. I have some textbooks as well, but they just provide me with what I wrote earlier, which you said was wrong?
I don't see any j=v there.

Let's start with an easier example: you have a ball of total charge Q with radius R and a uniform charge density. Its center is currently at the origin of the coordinate system, and it is moving in x-direction with a speed v. What is the current density for every point in space?

mfb said:
I don't see any j=v there.

Let's start with an easier example: you have a ball of total charge Q with radius R and a uniform charge density. Its center is currently at the origin of the coordinate system, and it is moving in x-direction with a speed v. What is the current density for every point in space?
I/A ?

Last edited:
No, whatever I/A is supposed to mean.

mfb said:
No, whatever I/A is supposed to mean.
Sigh, then I don't know. I really don't. I know you can't tell me either.

Those pictures I have included are everything I have been taught (taught is an exceptionally strong word to use) regarding Biot-Savart law, our lecturer did not even derive them as he said you can't 'technically' derive them.

I have said this in the many other threads I've had to create, I'm not a physics student, I just take a module in Electromagnetism. I am not (necessarily..) asking to be spoon fed, but it's safe assume I know next to nothing regarding the Biot-Savart Law.

This forum is just another resource I've had to find because my textbooks assume the reader already has a sound base in Physics/maths - which I do not. Alas, I cannot keep using this an excuse.

The current subproblem has nothing to do with Biot-Savart.

What do you know about current densities?
Can you find something like "current density is ... per ... and ..."?

1. What is the Biot-Savart law for current density in a volume?

The Biot-Savart law is a mathematical equation that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady electric current in a volume of space. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current, the length of the current, and the sine of the angle between the current and the distance from the point to the current.

2. How is the Biot-Savart law used in scientific research?

The Biot-Savart law is used in many areas of scientific research, including electromagnetism, plasma physics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by various sources, such as wires, coils, and moving charges, and is an essential tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic fields.

3. What is the difference between Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law?

While both laws describe the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields, the Biot-Savart law is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a specific current, while Ampere's law is used to calculate the magnetic field around a closed loop of current. Additionally, Ampere's law is valid for steady currents, while the Biot-Savart law is valid for both steady and moving currents.

4. How does Biot-Savart law relate to Faraday's law of induction?

The Biot-Savart law and Faraday's law of induction are closely related, as they both describe the relationship between magnetic fields and electric currents. The Biot-Savart law is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current, while Faraday's law states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current. Together, these laws help us understand the complex interactions between electricity and magnetism.

5. Can Biot-Savart law be applied to non-uniform current densities?

Yes, the Biot-Savart law can be applied to both uniform and non-uniform current densities. However, for non-uniform current densities, the calculation becomes more complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques, such as integration, to accurately determine the magnetic field at a given point. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to solve the Biot-Savart law for non-uniform current densities.