1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot-Savart for current density in a volume

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Biot-Savart law for a current density j in a volume V is: [itex] d\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0\vec{j}\times\vec{r}}{4\pi r^3} dV[/itex]

Derive the formula for the magnetic field created by a single point-like particle carrying charge [itex]q[/itex] moving with velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. Explain and justify all important steps.
    2. Relevant equations

[itex] d\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0\vec{j}\times\vec{r}}{4\pi r^3} dV[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

If I integrate over the whole volume, that will give me B, but it wont be correct for a moving point charge?

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{\vec{j}\times\vec{r}}{ r^3} dV[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why not?
    You have to think about how to get a current from a point particle with an "infinite" charge density.

4. Jan 11, 2015 #3
    Sorry, can you elaborate ?

5. Jan 11, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

What is your distribution of j? You'll need it to evaluate your integral.

6. Jan 11, 2015 #5
    I'm not sure, but;

[itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{\vec{j}\times\vec{r}}{ r^3} dV[/itex] then,
    [itex] \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{\vec{v}\times\hat{r}}{ r^2} dq[/itex]

Am I on the right lines?

7. Jan 11, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

j and v are not the same. They have completely different units, for example, and v does not depend on the position. Also, your equation is now independent of q, which clearly shows something is wrong.

8. Jan 11, 2015 #7
    These are all my lecture notes on the Biot-Savart Law.

BSlaw1.jpg

BsLaw.jpg

That's literally all I have to go on, my lecturer barely went over it at all. I have some textbooks as well, but they just provide me with what I wrote earlier, which you said was wrong?

9. Jan 11, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

I don't see any j=v there.

Let's start with an easier example: you have a ball of total charge Q with radius R and a uniform charge density. Its center is currently at the origin of the coordinate system, and it is moving in x-direction with a speed v. What is the current density for every point in space?

10. Jan 11, 2015 #9

I/A ?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  11. Jan 11, 2015 #10

mfb

2016 Award

No, whatever I/A is supposed to mean.

12. Jan 11, 2015 #11
    Sigh, then I don't know. I really don't. I know you can't tell me either.

Those pictures I have included are everything I have been taught (taught is an exceptionally strong word to use) regarding Biot-Savart law, our lecturer did not even derive them as he said you can't 'technically' derive them.

I have said this in the many other threads I've had to create, I'm not a physics student, I just take a module in Electromagnetism. I am not (necessarily..) asking to be spoon fed, but it's safe assume I know next to nothing regarding the Biot-Savart Law.

This forum is just another resource I've had to find because my textbooks assume the reader already has a sound base in Physics/maths - which I do not. Alas, I cannot keep using this an excuse.

13. Jan 11, 2015 #12

mfb

2016 Award

The current subproblem has nothing to do with Biot-Savart.

What do you know about current densities?
    Can you find something like "current density is ... per ... and ..."?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted