1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Biot-Savart Law for a Point Charge

1. Jan 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that B for a point charge is equal to

6bb1d60bd48bb83ace488aa5e7b87cdf.png

2. Relevant equations

I'm not all that sure. I read that maxwell's equations can be used to derive this, so I'd imagine that it's

1c88050c83555c51feb62402559d6cae.png

3. The attempt at a solution

If it were that, then, if i have a point charge moving at some constant speed along the x axis and I wanted to find B some distance R from it, at that point, I would create a circular path a distance x from the charge with radius R. I can find the electric flux due to the point charge throughout the entire circular disk. Because its moving with constant speed, i can find x(t) which is equal to vt setting my initial location for the charge at x = 0. Also because of the symmetry, B must be the same along the entire path since the charge is the same distance from every point on the path.

So, the flux as a function of the distance from the point charge is as shown in the picture below

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6956/itsazoo.png [Broken]

Now that equation really does NOT look like it's going to go anywhere productive so I want to ask if my concepts/setup are right before going any further.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Keep going. Don't give up. Eventually, you will get the Biot-Savart Law.

(However, remember that you have to get rid of the cross product somehow. v cross r-unit is equal to vsin(theta) in magnitude, so substitute that to get rid of the vectors.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook