1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bit of a problem with polar coordinates.

1. Feb 9, 2006 #1
    Bit of a problem with polar coordinates. (Only trig knowledge needed.)

Right. So, in this problem, I'm given the polar coordinate point (rad2, 4.39) -- "rad2" being, naturally, short for radical 2. I'm to find the rectangular coordinates of the point, using the formulas:

x = r cos Theta

and y = r sin Theta. In this problem, r = rad2 and Theta = 4.39.

Simple, no? Only for some reason, it's not coming out right with my calculator. I substitute the givens, for:

x = rad2 * (cos 4.39)

and y = rad2 * (sin 4.39).

I have the answers -- they're in the back of the textbook -- but can't figure out the process. x should equal approx. -0.45, and y should equal -1.34. Instead, I find x to equal 1.41 and y to equal 0.11. Am I doing something in the wrong order?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. ; )
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2006 #2
    Are you sure your calculator is in radian mode and not degree mode if the 4.39 is inradians?
  4. Feb 9, 2006 #3
    Actually, no. I hadn't thought of that. But I don't know how to set it in radian mode. Is there some way I could convert the 4.39 into a form usable in degree mode?
  5. Feb 10, 2006 #4
    Multiply by 180/pi.
  6. Feb 10, 2006 #5
    . . . . . . . .

*smacks forehead*

I can't believe I missed that. Thanks so much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?