Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bitensor covariant derivative commutation

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to prove a relation in which I need do commute covariant derivatives of a bitensor. The equation is quite long but I need to write something like this:

Given a bitensor [itex]G^{\alpha}_{\beta'}(x,x')[/itex], where the unprimed indexes ([itex]\alpha[/itex],[itex]\beta[/itex], etc) are assigned to the point [itex]x[/itex] and the primed indexes to the point [itex]x'[/itex]. If I use the usual law for commutating covariant derivatives of a (r,s)-tensor one can write:[tex]\nabla_{\rho} \nabla_{\sigma} G^{\alpha}_{\beta'}=\nabla_{\sigma}\nabla_{\rho} G^{\alpha} _{\beta'}+R^{\alpha}_{\delta \rho \sigma}G^{\delta}_{\beta'}-R^{\delta'}_{\beta' \rho \sigma}G^{\alpha}_{\delta'} ,[/tex]

where [itex]R^{\alpha}_{\delta \rho \sigma}[/itex] is the Riemann tensor. But this formula can't be right, at least is not well defined since I don't know what is this object: [itex]R^{\delta'}_{\beta' \rho \sigma}[/itex] ...

Does anyone know how to commute covariant derivatives of a bitensor?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

You're only differentiating wrt the unprimed point x, so the primed indices are effectively out of the picture. Keep the first Riemann tensor term and dscard the second.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook