Compute Commutator of Covariant Derivative & D/ds on Vector Fields

In summary: If so, then the answer is yes, as tensors commute. If not, then the answer is no, as they do not commute.
Pentaquark6
Hi, let ##\gamma (\lambda, s)## be a family of geodesics, where ##s## is the parameter and ##\lambda## distinguishes between geodesics. Let furthermore ##Z^\nu = \partial_\lambda \gamma^\nu ## be a vector field and ##\nabla_\alpha Z^\mu := \partial_\alpha Z^\mu + \Gamma^\mu_{\:\: \nu \gamma} Z^\gamma## be the covariant derivative. Let us lastly define
$$ \frac{\mathrm{D}}{\mathrm{d}s} Z^\mu (s):= \frac{\partial (Z^\mu \circ \gamma)}{\partial s}+\Gamma^\mu_{\:\: \alpha \beta} \dot{\gamma}^\beta Z^\alpha \\
=\dot{\gamma}^\beta \nabla_\beta Z^\mu$$.

Do the covariant derivative and ##\frac{\mathrm{D}}{\mathrm{d}s}## applied to a vector field commute in this case?

I tried verifying that they do, but I don’t know how to compute ##\frac{\mathrm{D}}{\mathrm{d}s}## applied to a tensor.

Last edited:
Likes Emil_M
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like you used wrong indices in defining ##Z##. The correct would be ##\nabla_\alpha Z^\nu = \partial_\alpha Z^\nu + \Gamma^{\nu}{}_{\alpha \sigma} Z^\sigma##. Considering you last defined quantity we would have a term of the type $$\nabla_\alpha \frac{\partial}{\partial s} \gamma_{\beta} \nabla^{\beta}$$ when calculating the commutator. And you would need to operate with the covariant derivative on the field ##\gamma## on that term. So it seems that they will not commute. PF members please tell me if I'm wrong.

Pentaquark6 said:
Let furthermore ##Z^\nu = \partial_\lambda \gamma^\nu## be a vector field

This can't be correct because the indexes don't match. If ##\gamma## is a scalar field, then ##\partial^\nu \gamma = Z^\nu## is a vector field. (Strictly speaking, the ##\partial## should have a lower index, so you would have a covector field ##\partial_\nu \gamma = Z_\nu##, and you could raise an index with the inverse metric to get the corresponding vector field.)

With the correct definition of a vector field, its covariant derivative looks like what @kent davidge posted in post #2.

However, even before we get to this point, I'm confused about what you intend ##\gamma## to be. You define it as:

Pentaquark6 said:
let ##\gamma (\lambda, s)## be a family of geodesics, where sss is the parameter and λλ\lambda distinguishes between geodesics.

But with this definition, ##\lambda## and ##s## aren't coordinates, they're parameters, so ##\gamma## isn't even a scalar field, and you can't compute its covariant derivative at all. A scalar field would be ##\gamma(x^\nu)##, i.e., a function that takes coordinates as input and outputs a number. To obtain that from your definition you would need functions ##\lambda(x^\nu)## and ##s(x^\nu)##, i.e., for every point in spacetime, you would need to know which geodesic in the family it was on and what the curve parameter of that geodesic was at that spacetime point. Without this information you can't proceed.

kent davidge said:
Considering you last defined quantity we would have a term of the type
$$
\nabla_\alpha \frac{\partial}{\partial s} \gamma_{\beta} \nabla^{\beta}
$$

when calculating the commutator.

No, you wouldn't. As I noted above, ##\gamma## shouldn't have an index. Also, ##s## is a curve parameter, not a coordinate, so there is no meaning to a partial derivative with respect to it. The whole scheme in the OP needs to be reworked in the light of the above comments.

Likes kent davidge
Kent davidge: yeah you’re right, I’ve got a typo in the definition of ##\nabla_\alpha Z^\mu##.Ok, it seems that there is a conflict of notations here. In the text I am using, the points along a curve ##\gamma## are denoted as ##\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu## with ##\partial_\mu## being the basis vectors. This renders ##\gamma^\mu## (the components of) a vector field.

Furthermore ##Z^\mu=\partial_\lambda \gamma^\mu## shouldn't be a conflict of indices, as ##\lambda## is not an index denoting components, but a parameter by which ##\gamma## is differentiated. If this notation irritates you, we can write ##Z^\mu=\dot{\gamma}^\mu## with ## \dot{}=\frac{\partial}{\partial \lambda}##.

I hope this makes my question a little bit clearer.

Likes kent davidge
Pentaquark6 said:
In the text I am using

What text? And what part of it are you getting all this from?

May be this will help. The derivative ##\frac D{ds}## is the induced connection along the curve from ##\nabla##. So, at least for tensors that are restrictions along the curve from tensors on the manifold, you have that ##\frac D{ds}T=\nabla_{\dot{\gamma}}T##. Your question really is whether ##\nabla_X\nabla_{\dot{\gamma}}T=\nabla_{\dot{\gamma}}\nabla_XT##.

1. What is a covariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical tool used in differential geometry to measure the change of a vector field along a curved space. It takes into account the curvature of the space and adjusts the derivative accordingly.

2. How is the commutator of covariant derivative and D/ds calculated?

The commutator of covariant derivative and D/ds is calculated by taking the difference between the covariant derivative of a vector field with respect to another vector field, and the covariant derivative of that vector field with respect to the first vector field. The result is a measure of how the two vector fields do not commute.

3. What is the significance of computing the commutator of covariant derivative and D/ds?

The commutator of covariant derivative and D/ds is significant because it helps us understand the curvature of a space. If the commutator is non-zero, it indicates that the space is curved and that the two vector fields do not behave in the same way. This can have important implications in fields such as general relativity.

4. Can the commutator of covariant derivative and D/ds be zero?

Yes, the commutator of covariant derivative and D/ds can be zero in certain cases. For example, if the space is flat, then the commutator will be zero for any vector fields. However, in most cases, the commutator will not be zero and can provide valuable information about the curvature of the space.

5. How is the commutator of covariant derivative and D/ds used in practical applications?

The commutator of covariant derivative and D/ds is used in various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of general relativity, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. It helps us understand how vector fields behave on curved spaces and can provide insights into the behavior of physical systems.