BJT Collector to Emitter voltage

In summary, when an amplifier is not receiving an input voltage, there is still voltage present between the collector and emitter. This is caused by leakage current and can be eliminated by grounding the base.
Rob1818
I have been checking the BJTs on a car audio amplifier board with my DMM's diode test feature, and I need a little help understanding something I have been noticing:

The base to emitter and base to collector voltage drops are present, and show an open circuit when the leads are reversed as they should. But, when I connect the pos. lead to the collector, and the neg. lead to the emitter, my DMM reads a voltage drop of anywhere from 0.5v to 1.0v (with no voltage being applied to the base). Reversing the leads, it shows an open circuit.

Is this how these are supposed to operate? I thought that in the absence of a voltage being applied to the base, there should be no conductance from the collector to the emitter, so I am confused as to why I am seeing the voltage drop from collector to emitter. This amplifier failed after the input stage was fried by too strong of an input RCA voltage (had about 9.0v coming in; amp is only built to handle up to 6.0v). Thanks in advance for any input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
For simple tests, a transistor can be modeled as a couple of diodes. Think of an NPN transistor as being two diodes with common anodes at the base, cathodes are the emitter and collector.
Without a circuit or some idea of your meter we cannot tell much more at this stage.

When the base is open, there will be leakage current from the collector base junction which will cause the transistor to conduct for collector to emitter. An open circuit isn't always 0 volts.

If you ground the base (through a resistor or directly) then the transistor will definitely turn off.

You can probably ground it with a pretty large resistor. I expect even connecting another voltmeter to the base and emitter will turn off the device (or, if it doesn't, it will indicate there is a base voltage).

1. What is BJT Collector to Emitter voltage?

BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) Collector to Emitter voltage, also known as VCE, is the voltage difference between the collector and emitter terminals of a BJT transistor. It is an important parameter in determining the operating point and characteristics of the transistor.

2. How is BJT Collector to Emitter voltage calculated?

BJT Collector to Emitter voltage can be calculated by subtracting the voltage at the emitter terminal from the voltage at the collector terminal. It can also be calculated using Ohm's Law by dividing the collector current by the gain (beta) of the transistor.

3. What is the typical range of BJT Collector to Emitter voltage?

The typical range of BJT Collector to Emitter voltage varies depending on the type of transistor and its application. Generally, the range can be anywhere from a few volts to several hundred volts.

4. How does BJT Collector to Emitter voltage affect the operation of a transistor?

The Collector to Emitter voltage has a significant impact on the output characteristics of a BJT transistor. It determines the amount of current that can flow through the transistor and also affects its amplification and switching capabilities.

5. What happens if the BJT Collector to Emitter voltage exceeds its maximum rating?

If the BJT Collector to Emitter voltage exceeds its maximum rating, it can lead to transistor failure or damage. This is because the transistor operates in the saturation region, where the voltage between the collector and emitter is almost constant, and any increase in voltage can cause a significant increase in collector current, potentially damaging the transistor.