Pnp transistor with base connected to collector

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a pnp transistor with the base and collector nodes tied together. The simulation results show that the emitter current is equal to the sum of the base and collector currents, even though the B-C junction is shorted. The conversation also mentions the presence of internal parasitic resistance and the need for a real-world experiment to test the functionality of a BJT.
DS2016
Hello all,
I have a problem to understand a pnp transistor with base (B) connected to collector (C).
When I set the VE (voltage of emitter) at 0 V and the VB, which is the voltage of base and collector nodes, since they are tied together), decrease from 0 V to -1.0 V,the simulation result shows me that the emitter current (IE) is equal to | IB + IC |.
I can understand the result regarding the equivalent circuit of pnp, but i can not understand the physics behind this, because VBC=0 V. Does operate the diode of BE junction in forward-biased? what is about the diode of BC junction, when VBC=0 V?

I would be thankful for any reply

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm no expert but from your wording, this is what I think:
DS2016 said:
since they are tied together),
Means B-C junction is shorted.
DS2016 said:
what is about the diode of BC junction, when VBC=0 V?
Since BC diode is shorted, no current would flow through the BC junction.

Likes DS2016
Thanks for your answer.
The simulation results show me that a current (IC), which is a little lower than IB (defined for base current ), flows through the collector node and the sum of both currents | IB+IC| is equal to the emitter current IE.
In my case, the external nodes of base and collector are shorted, but each of this layer has internal parasitic resistance. I think the internal VBC is not 0 V.

DS2016 said:
which is a little lower than IB (defined for base current ), flows through the collector node and the sum of both currents | IB+IC| is equal to the emitter current IE.
Yes. But there is no current "through" the BC junction. Current flows from B to E and C to E such that Ib+Ic=Ie..
DS2016 said:
. I think the internal VBC is not 0 V.
It should be 0 since B and C are externally connected by a conductor.

Last edited:
Likes DS2016
Many thanks for the information. It took me time to understand that, but now it's clear for me.
Thanks again.

Likes cnh1995
Try a real-world experiment. This is a "Quick-and-Dirty" test to check if a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) is functional.

1) Connect an Ohmmeter to forward bias the B-E junction with the Collector open. You should get a fairly low resistance reading.
2) Now connect the Collector to the Base. The Ohmmeter reading will decrease by a small amount.
3) If you then disconnect the Base, you should get a very high reading between Collector and Emitter.
Edit: 4) Connect E-C and Ohmmeter to reverse bias the Base junctions. Should be a very high reading.

Last edited:

What is a Pnp transistor with base connected to collector?

A Pnp transistor with base connected to collector is a type of bipolar junction transistor (BJT) in which the base and collector terminals are connected together. This creates a reversed bias in the transistor and allows it to function as a switch or amplifier.

How does a Pnp transistor with base connected to collector work?

In this configuration, the base-collector junction is reverse biased, which means that the base-collector voltage is negative. This causes the depletion region between the two terminals to widen, preventing the flow of current between them. When a positive voltage is applied to the base terminal, it reduces the width of the depletion region, allowing current to flow from the collector to the emitter terminal. This makes the transistor act as a switch or amplifier.

What are the advantages of using a Pnp transistor with base connected to collector?

One advantage is that it allows for easy biasing of the transistor. Since the base and collector are connected together, the base voltage is automatically set to a negative value, simplifying the circuit design. Additionally, this configuration provides high input impedance and low output impedance, making it useful for high frequency applications.

What are some common uses of a Pnp transistor with base connected to collector?

One common use is in digital logic circuits, where the transistor acts as a switch to control the flow of current. It is also commonly used in amplifiers, oscillators, and other electronic circuits. Additionally, this configuration is often employed in high frequency applications, such as radio frequency amplifiers and mixers.

What are the limitations of a Pnp transistor with base connected to collector?

One limitation is that it has a lower current gain compared to other transistor configurations. Additionally, this configuration is not suitable for high power applications, as the base-collector junction can break down under high voltages. It also has a slower switching speed compared to other transistor configurations.