Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pnp transistor with base connected to collector

1. Jun 10, 2016 #1
    Hello all,
    I have a problem to understand a pnp transistor with base (B) connected to collector (C).
    When I set the VE (voltage of emitter) at 0 V and the VB, which is the voltage of base and collector nodes, since they are tied together), decrease from 0 V to -1.0 V,the simulation result shows me that the emitter current (IE) is equal to | IB + IC |.
    I can understand the result regarding the equivalent circuit of pnp, but i can not understand the physics behind this, because VBC=0 V. Does operate the diode of BE junction in forward-biased? what is about the diode of BC junction, when VBC=0 V?

I would be thankful for any reply

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I'm no expert but from your wording, this is what I think:
    Means B-C junction is shorted.
    Since BC diode is shorted, no current would flow through the BC junction.

4. Jun 10, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your answer.
    The simulation results show me that a current (IC), which is a little lower than IB (defined for base current ), flows through the collector node and the sum of both currents | IB+IC| is equal to the emitter current IE.
    In my case, the external nodes of base and collector are shorted, but each of this layer has internal parasitic resistance. I think the internal VBC is not 0 V.

5. Jun 10, 2016 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes. But there is no current "through" the BC junction. Current flows from B to E and C to E such that Ib+Ic=Ie..
    It should be 0 since B and C are externally connected by a conductor.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  6. Jun 10, 2016 #5
    Many thanks for the information. It took me time to understand that, but now it's clear for me.
    Thanks again.

7. Jun 10, 2016 #6

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Try a real-world experiment. This is a "Quick-and-Dirty" test to check if a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) is functional.

1) Connect an Ohmmeter to forward bias the B-E junction with the Collector open. You should get a fairly low resistance reading.
    2) Now connect the Collector to the Base. The Ohmmeter reading will decrease by a small amount.
    3) If you then disconnect the Base, you should get a very high reading between Collector and Emitter.
    Edit: 4) Connect E-C and Ohmmeter to reverse bias the Base junctions. Should be a very high reading.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted