What Is the Nature of Black in the Visible Spectrum VIBGYOR?

In summary: So, even if a black hole is a perfect absorber, it still (theoretically) emits some radiation. So, there isn't a perfect absorber or emitter of radiation, there are only better or worse ones.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of black color and its perception. It is explained that black is the absence of light and can be perceived when all light is absorbed by an object. The relationship between frequency, wavelength, and dispersion is also discussed. It is clarified that frequency does not change when a wave enters a medium, only the speed and wavelength change. The conversation also touches on the idea of perfect absorbers and the concept of black holes as potential perfect absorbers. However, it is noted that
shihab-kol
In the visible spectrum VIBGYOR, there is no black colour.So, what do we percieve as 'black' ?

Another of my queries is that when dispersion takes place there is a change in wavelength but not so in case of frequency. But they are related inversely. So, why does this happen?

Science news on Phys.org
shihab-kol said:
In the visible spectrum VIBGYOR, there is no black colour.So, what do we percieve as 'black' ?

Black is the lack of light. White is the superposition of all visible colors.

Just think of a black-and-white picture. The dark parts are black and the bright ones are white, medium intensities are grey.

anorlunda said:
Black is the lack of light.
What do you mean by that? How is light absent? Is it something related to absorption?

Bright / dark / black relate to intensity and not to wavelength or frequency (or chrominance).

Go into a sealed room and turn off the lights. What color do you see?

shihab-kol said:
Is it something related to absorption?

Yes, that's one way. A surface that reflects no light to your eye is perceived as black.

anorlunda said:
Go into a sealed room and turn off the lights. What color do you see?
Yes, that's one way. A surface that reflects no light to your eye is perceived as black.
So, something absorbing all light is perceived to be black?

shihab-kol said:
Yes

sophiecentaur said:
Bright / dark / black relate to intensity and not to wavelength or frequency (or chrominance).
The frequency part of the question does not relate to black.
sophiecentaur said:
Yes
Thanks for the clarification .
And about the second part ?

In your second part I would guess you misuse the term "dispersion". Dispersion means that the speed of the wave through a medium depends on frequency. You also can write velocity of wave as a function of wavelength. But dispersion does not mean a change in either frequency or wavelength. The speed in the medium is different than in the air and so the wavelength will change while propagating through that medium. The frequency does not depend on the propagation speed, is a characteristic of the source of the wave. But this happens even in a medium without dispersion.

nasu said:
In your second part I would guess you misuse the term "dispersion". Dispersion means that the speed of the wave through a medium depends on frequency. You also can write velocity of wave as a function of wavelength. But dispersion does not mean a change in either frequency or wavelength. The speed in the medium is different than in the air and so the wavelength will change while propagating through that medium. The frequency does not depend on the propagation speed, is a characteristic of the source of the wave. But this happens even in a medium without dispersion.
Yes.
I tried to mean refraction.
Thanks

Frequency and intensity are independent. Intensity does have an effect on perceived color, though. You can see a yellow area and a brown area in the same scene. They can both have the same chrominance co ordinates. Our color perception falls off as light level drops and our vision becomes monochrome at very low levels. It's a bit of a grey area. ( pun intended)

shihab-kol said:
Another of my queries is that when dispersion takes place there is a change in wavelength but not so in case of frequency. But they are related inversely. So, why does this happen?

It's true frequency and wavelength are inversely related, but in refraction the wavelength and the speed of the wave change, the frequency doesn't change.

shihab-kol said:

Well, perfect absorbers do not exist. Typically an object with a "black" color absorbs a much larger percentage of incoming light across most of the visible spectrum compared to surrounding objects, though it never absorbs all of it. I am currently surrounded by about a dozen different objects that I would call "black" and each one actually looks slightly different than the others.

shihab-kol said:
Or not having them created to begin with. Consider a white movies screen.

Why does the frequency not change?

shihab-kol said:
Why does the frequency not change when a wave enters a medium like a prism and thereby speeds up or slows down?

Because every time a wave crest arrives at the boundary the wave crest passes through and proceeds past the boundary. The frequency at which crests arrive is equal to the frequency at which crests proceed.

Black is not a particularly quantitative thing. It is not 'less than 10 photons arriving per nanosecond'.
The doorway into a bar can appear black at noon but, with the same lighting inside, it can be the brightest object in the street on a moonless night.

Drakkith said:
Well, perfect absorbers do not exist. Typically an object with a "black" color absorbs a much larger percentage of incoming light across most of the visible spectrum compared to surrounding objects, though it never absorbs all of it. I am currently surrounded by about a dozen different objects that I would call "black" and each one actually looks slightly different than the others.

I'm just curious, isn't a black hole a perfect absorber beyond the event horizon? Further, would it be accurate to state that the only known existence of "perfectly black" that we know of at this point is inside a black hole's event horizon as perceived by someone outside it? Or is this negated by the existence of Hawking radiation which should be visible in the IR range?

I'm sorry if these are fairly stupid questions; I'm fascinated by the concept of black holes but don't know much about them.

XZ923 said:
I'm just curious, isn't a black hole a perfect absorber beyond the event horizon?
Wiki can answer this. If one considers a black hole as if it were a "black body"...

"A black hole of one solar mass (M) has a temperature of only 60 nanokelvins (60 billionths of a kelvin); in fact, such a black hole would absorb far more cosmic microwave background radiation than it emits. A black hole of 4.5×1022 kg (about the mass of the Moon, or about 13 µm across) would be in equilibrium at 2.7 K, absorbing as much radiation as it emits. Yet smaller primordial black holes would emit more than they absorb and thereby lose mass.[11]"​

shihab-kol said:

Another example: a light string attached to a heavier one. If you start a wave train in the lighter string, as each crest meets the heavier string it will become a crest there, so the frequencies are the same in each string. But for equal tension in each string, the wave in the heavier string is slower and the wavelength there is smaller than in the lighter string.

XZ923 said:
I'm just curious, isn't a black hole a perfect absorber beyond the event horizon?

I'm talking more about physical objects you could encounter in real life. Not crazy spacetime geodesics. :biggrin:

shihab-kol said:
How could it? What would drive the parts of one medium at a different frequency from the parts in the previous medium? You need Phase Continuity at an interface and that demands no frequency change.

But shouldn't the wave lose energy along the way? And frequency is a measure of energy.In a wave the energy is transferred from one place to another but along the some dissipation should occur.
So, why?

shihab-kol said:
But shouldn't the wave lose energy along the way? And frequency is a measure of energy.In a wave the energy is transferred from one place to another but along the some dissipation should occur.
So, why?
Why should a wave lose energy along the way?

In the case of electomagnetic waves quantized as photons, the energy in a photon is determined by its frequency and vice versa. But photons do not "dissipate" (disregarding cosmological red shift).

In the case of more mundane waves (e.g. sound waves, surface waves on a lake or transverse waves on a taut string) there is no association between frequency and wave energy. The energy is associated with amplitude, not frequency.

jbriggs444 said:
Why should a wave lose energy along the way?

In the case of electomagnetic waves quantized as photons, the energy in a photon is determined by its frequency and vice versa. But photons do not "dissipate" (disregarding cosmological red shift).
Ah, I am being taught the classical nature of waves where they do dissipate energy (like sound), so the quantization of energy in a photon did not occur to me.
Thanks.

Well, another question.
I draw lines of black ink consecutively on a paper.When viewed from a distance they appear to be one solid thick black line.But when viewed from a near position one can make out the separate lines.Why is this so?

shihab-kol said:
I draw lines of black ink consecutively on a paper.When viewed from a distance they appear to be one solid thick black line.But when viewed from a near position one can make out the separate lines.Why is this so?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_resolution

Likes russ_watters and davenn
shihab-kol said:
Well, another question.
Diffraction.

sophiecentaur said:
Diffraction.
How?

I read in a brief history of time that the Earth is a geodesic and assumed it to be some sort of a sphere. But Drakkith says that black holes are also geodesics .
What exactly is a geodesic?

shihab-kol said:
How?

AT's angular resolution was the better response ... did you read the link he gave ?

shihab-kol said:
I read in a brief history of time that the Earth is a geodesic and assumed it to be some sort of a sphere. But Drakkith says that black holes are also geodesics .
What exactly is a geodesic?

Have you googled you question yet ?
I know you will get multiple hits for answers :smile:

davenn said:
Have you googled you question yet ?
I know you will get multiple hits for answers :smile:
I got a meaning.
The shortest possible line between two points on a curved surface.
Uh, but how about a black hole?
I don't understand.(Of course I get the'crazy' part!:woot:)

And, I get the angular resolution part. Thanks,AT

sophiecentaur said:
Diffraction.
shihab-kol said:
How?
Every image is formed from the contributions of light from all the different paths from the source object. The lengths of these paths are all slightly different so the separate waves interfere with each other, not adding up perfectly. This is Diffraction and it occurs Always. Diffraction is what causes the blurring of images*. A small aperture will produce more visible 'diffraction effects'. This can be explained by the fact that 1. the diffraction 'fringes' are finer and finer as the aperture is wider and more coarse from a smaller aperture and 2. Proportionally more light passes through the middle of a large aperture so the fringes are less visible.
*I expect some people will disagree with this blanket statement but the aberrations that are caused in glass lenses are still, effectively due to the failure of the various paths to add up perfectly (in phase). To my mind that is just a sub-set of diffraction.

sophiecentaur said:
Every image is formed from the contributions of light from all the different paths from the source object. The lengths of these paths are all slightly different so the separate waves interfere with each other, not adding up perfectly. This is Diffraction and it occurs Always. Diffraction is what causes the blurring of images*. A small aperture will produce more visible 'diffraction effects'. This can be explained by the fact that 1. the diffraction 'fringes' are finer and finer as the aperture is wider and more coarse from a smaller aperture and 2. Proportionally more light passes through the middle of a large aperture so the fringes are less visible.
*I expect some people will disagree with this blanket statement but the aberrations that are caused in glass lenses are still, effectively due to the failure of the various paths to add up perfectly (in phase). To my mind that is just a sub-set of diffraction.
Ok.Got it!
Thanks!

shihab-kol said:
Ok.Got it!
Thanks!
shihab-kol said:
Ok.Got it!
Thanks!
My post can be summed up by the term in AT's post 'angular resolution'. I gave you overkill, possibly.