Blast radius of mechanical explosion

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential blast radius of a ruptured container filled with compressed air. The speaker suggests calculating the blast radius using the energy released by the explosion, which can be converted into an equivalent TNT explosion. This would indicate that highly compressed air can be more dangerous than commonly perceived, with a metric ton of air having a larger explosion than a military hand grenade or full scuba tank. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the expert for their helpful input.
MatNX
Imagine a container with compressed air ruptures. Inside is a metric ton of air, just very dense. If it explodes, ignoring fragments of the container and the ground, how would i calculate the blast radius? Do I need the Volume of the container or the density? I thought it might just be the radius of a sphere of air with the same mass but "regular" atmoshperic desity. But I don´t know, which is why I´m asking it here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don’t start with the volume of air, you start with the energy released by the explosion. For back-of-the-envelope purposes this will be the same as the energy required to pump the air into the tank in the first place.

You’ll get an energy in joules, and google will quickly tell you that 4000 joules is about what you’d get from one gram of TNT, so you can convert your tank explosion into an equivalent TNT explosion. There’s plenty of online data about blast radii in those terms.

If you do the calculations right, you will conclude that highly compressed air is more dangerous than you might think. A typical military hand grenade is lethal out to about five meters and dangerous at ten times that distance... and a full scuba tank makes for quite a bit bigger of an explosion.

[Edit: and I should add that a metric ton of air is much much more than what goes into a scuba tank.]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes MatNX
Ok, thanks! That was really helpful!

1. What is a blast radius of a mechanical explosion?

The blast radius of a mechanical explosion refers to the distance from the center of the explosion to the point where the blast pressure drops to a level that is no longer considered dangerous. It is typically measured in feet or meters.

2. How is the blast radius of a mechanical explosion determined?

The blast radius of a mechanical explosion is determined by various factors such as the type of explosive used, the amount of explosive material, and the surrounding environment. It can also be calculated using mathematical models and simulations.

3. What factors affect the blast radius of a mechanical explosion?

The blast radius of a mechanical explosion can be affected by the type and amount of explosive material, the shape and size of the explosive device, the surrounding terrain and structures, and the presence of any barriers or shielding.

4. Can the blast radius of a mechanical explosion be predicted?

Yes, the blast radius of a mechanical explosion can be predicted using mathematical models and simulations. However, it is important to note that the actual blast radius may vary depending on the specific conditions of the explosion.

5. What safety measures should be taken in consideration for the blast radius of a mechanical explosion?

To ensure safety, it is important to follow proper handling and storage procedures for explosive materials. The blast radius should also be taken into account when determining the safe distance for personnel and structures. Protective barriers and shielding can also be used to reduce the impact of the blast radius.