Block is lowered into water, what is weight of water spilled?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
test2morrow
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 400 cm^3 block of aluminum (D=2.7 g/cm^3) is lowered into a completely full beaker of water. What is weight of water that spills out of the beaker? Correct answer is 4N.

Homework Equations



D=m/v



The Attempt at a Solution



I figured out the volume of the block which will equal to the amount of water displaced...and I did not get 4N.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I got 10.8 N

I figured out the mass (not volume as previously stated) and used w=mg
 
test2morrow said:

Homework Statement


A 400 cm^3 block of aluminum (D=2.7 g/cm^3) is lowered into a completely full beaker of water. What is weight of water that spills out of the beaker? Correct answer is 4N.
/QUOTE]

When 400 cm^3 block of aluminum is completely lowered in the water, 400 cm^3 of water is spilled out. Its mass is 400 g or 0.4 kg. Find the weight of this water.
 
thanks, that helped. my brain just isn't working today.