Block on Spring with Friction Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a block of mass m moving at a speed of v0 towards a spring of spring constant k on a table with a coefficient of friction μk. The goal is to determine the compression of the spring and the average power generated due to friction during the compression. The solution involves using the equations W+Wfriction=ΔKE+ΔUspring and Wfriction=Ffrictionx=μkmgx, as well as finding the time needed to stop the object and using the equation P=Fv to estimate the average power. However, it is noted that the spring constant k is needed to solve the problem.
weebedink

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is moving at a speed of v0 at a distance L away from a spring of on a table with coefficient of friction μk. How much does the block compress the spring? Determine the average power generated due to friction during the compression of the spring.

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the question or is it just my methods, but is there a spring constant K needed to solve this problem? Also how would I solve for the average power?

Homework Equations

W+Wfriction=ΔKE+ΔUspring

Wfriction=Ffrictionx=μkmgx

The Attempt at a Solution

I split the problem into three sections. When the spring is compressed, right after the block reaches the end of the spring, and when the block is a distance L away from the spring. From these positions I got two equations and combined them into this:

kx2-2μkmgx=m(v0+2μkgL)

Now if the k was given, I would just solve for x and that would be the compression of the spring. Am I missing something? or do I need a k to keep on going?

For the average power dissipated by friction, I would use the Wfrictionkmgx and then maybe integrate with respect to time or divide by time. Am I right in my assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Yes, you sure do need k. The block will compress the spring more if k is smaller. The answer depends on k.

There must be a typo in your equation - the v should be squared, shouldn't it?
Otherwise, it makes perfect sense.

weebedink said:
Now if the k was given, I would just solve for x and that would be the compression of the spring. Am I missing something? or do I need a k to keep on going?

For the average power dissipated by friction, I would use the Wfrictionkmgx and then [STRIKE]maybe integrate with respect to time or[/STRIKE] divide by time. Am I right in my assumption?

You need the spring constant.
The average power is work done divided by time. The friction is a constant force, so its work along a distance x is W=μkmgx.
Find the time needed to stop the object.

The instantaneous power is P=Fv. You can get a rough estimate of the average power by using the half of the speed the object reaches the spring with.

ehild

There must be a typo in your equation - the v should be squared, shouldn't it?
Yeah my bad haha it is.

The average power is work done divided by time. The friction is a constant force, so its work along a distance x is W=μkmgx.
Find the time needed to stop the object.

Yeah I was able to solve using forces and kinematics.

Thank you so much for all of the help!

You are welcome.ehild

1. What is a "Block on Spring with Friction Problem"?

A "Block on Spring with Friction Problem" is a physics problem that involves a block of mass attached to a spring and placed on a surface with friction. The block is usually subjected to external forces, and the goal is to determine its motion and position as a function of time.

2. How is the block's motion affected by the spring and friction?

The spring provides a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the block from its equilibrium position. This force causes the block to oscillate around its equilibrium point. Friction, on the other hand, opposes the motion of the block and causes it to eventually come to a stop.

3. What are the equations used to solve this problem?

The equations used to solve this problem are Newton's second law of motion, Hooke's law for springs, and the equations of motion for objects with friction. These equations can be combined to create a system of equations that can be solved for the block's position and velocity as a function of time.

4. How do you account for the effects of gravity in this problem?

The effects of gravity can be accounted for by adding the weight of the block to the equations of motion. This weight will act as an additional external force on the block, affecting its motion and position. The direction of the weight force will depend on the orientation of the spring and surface.

5. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made in this problem?

One common simplification in this problem is assuming that the spring is ideal and has no mass. This means that the spring's length does not change as the block moves and that the force it exerts is always proportional to the displacement. Other assumptions may include neglecting air resistance and considering the surface to be perfectly smooth.