Block on Spring without Friction

In summary: I could help. Remember to always look at the given information in the problem to help you determine the unknowns. So, in summary, a spring with a displacement of 40 cm and a block of mass 12 kg attached to it requires a force of 25 N to hold it in place. Using the Work Energy Theorem and the equations for Kinetic and Elastic Potential Energy, we can determine the velocity of the attached object when the spring returns to its unstretched length (a) and when it has returned halfway (b). To find the spring constant, we can use the fact that the force given in the problem must equal the restoring force of the spring.
Awwnutz
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8499/physicsql7.gif

A spring is stretched a distance of Dx = 40 cm beyond its relaxed length. Attached to the end of the spring is an block of mass m = 12 kg, which rests on a horizontal frictionless surface. A force of magnitude 25 N is required to hold the block at this position. The force is then removed.

a) When the spring again returns to its unstretched length, what is the speed of the attached object?

b) When the spring has returned only halfway (20 cm), what is the speed of the attached object?

Relevant equations:
Work Energy Theorem, KE(final) - KE(initial) = W(spring)
Kinetic Energy, (1/2)mv^2
Elastic Potential Energy for spring, (1/2)kx^2

I know i need to use the Work Energy theorem to find the velocity for part a and b, but how do i find the work done by the spring if i don't know the spring constant? Thats where i got stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can determine the spring constant by what's given to you in the problem. The restoring force of the spring will be -kx. The force given to you in the problem must equal the restoring force because the spring is being held in place and is not moving.

Does that help?

That helps out a lot. It makes sense too. Now the rest of the problem is easy i just needed to know that. Thanks!

No problem

What is a "Block on Spring without Friction"?

A "Block on Spring without Friction" is a simple physics experiment that involves a block attached to a spring, with no friction present. The block is pulled down and released, causing it to oscillate up and down due to the forces of gravity and the spring.

What are the key components of this experiment?

The key components of a "Block on Spring without Friction" experiment include a block, a spring, a support structure, and a measuring device to track the motion of the block.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the principles of simple harmonic motion and the effects of a spring and gravity on an object's motion.

What factors affect the motion of the block?

The motion of the block is affected by the mass of the block, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the block's oscillations.

How can this experiment be modified to introduce friction?

This experiment can be modified by adding a surface with friction, such as sandpaper, to the support structure. This will introduce resistance to the motion of the block and change its oscillation pattern.