1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block resting on slop with friction - statics

1. Oct 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a block of mass m resting on a 20° slope. The block has coefficients of friction µs = 0.80 and µk = 0.49 with the surface. It is connected via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley to a hanging block of mass m2 = 2.0 kg.

What is the minimum mass m that will stick and not slip?

2. Relevant equations

Newtons second law sum of the forces = mass * acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the hanging block to find the tension to be equal to 9.8*(2) = 19.6 N

With that found I found that n = mgSin(20) and T = µs * mgSin(20)

So 19.6 = .8*m 9.8Sin(20) and m = 7.309 kg

The online homework says this is incorrect and I have no idea of any other way to go about this problem any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Pullies!

Good.

That's an incorrect expression for the normal force (wrong component of weight). And I assume you meant friction force, not T (for tension).

Hint: Three forces act on the block parallel to the incline.

4. Oct 30, 2009 #3

I don't get what you mean by wrong component of weight, when i draw my FBD i have normal force going up and mg pointing down and

n - mg = 0 so n = mg but because its the 20 degree slope its n = mgSin20 ?

5. Oct 30, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

While mg points down, the normal force doesn't point up--it's perpendicular to the surface, so it's at a angle.

It's not true that n = mg. To find the normal force, consider force components perpendicular to the surface--they must add to zero. What's the component of gravity perpendicular to the surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook