Block Sliding Down Circular Ramp (w/ Friction)

In summary, a block of mass m is positioned at the top of a quarter-circle ramp with radius R and friction coefficient μ. To find the velocity v at the bottom, the force summation equations in the n- and t-directions are used and I get: N - mgsinθ = mv^2/R, mgcosθ - μN = ma, and a = g(cosθ - μsinθ) - μv^2/R. Solving for N in the n-direction equation, then subsuting into the t-direction equation yields: a = g(cosθ - μsinθ) - μv^2/R, and vdv =
Bakeman
A block of mass m is positioned at the top of a quarter-circle ramp with radius R and friction coefficient μ. To find the velocity v at the bottom, I did the force summation equations in the n- and t-directions and came up with:

n: N - mgsinθ = mv^2/R
t: mgcosθ - μN = ma

I then solve for N in the n-direction equation, then subsitute into the t-direction equation. Solving for a, I get:

a = g(cosθ - μsinθ) - μv^2/R

I realize that I need to use this in the kinematic equation: vdv = ads, or in this case, vdv = aRdθ. Doing this, I get:

vdv = (Rg(cosθ - μsinθ) - μv^2)dθ

This can supposedly be rearranged into an easily solvable differential equation in the form of dy/dx + f(x)y = g(x), but I'm not seeing it. I'm assuming that v = y and θ = x, which would make the equation dv/dθ + f(θ)y = g(θ).

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bakeman
Welcome to PF !

Well i haven't been in touch with physics for i long time so i might be wrong but here's a thought ...

The method you are approaching with is based on assumption that the block will remain stick to the surface of quarter circle during complete motion ... but i don't think that is true ...

It will leave its contact as soon as [itex]\frac{m v^2}{R} > mgsin\theta - N[/itex]

The ramp is probably oriented so that the flat point rests on the ground not in the air so the block will stay in contact with it through the whole motion.
I would use the work energy theorem to solve this one; kinetic energy = work done by gravity - work done by friction.

I've been going back through some of my old college texts and found this problem that I wanted to try to solve. The problem comes before any discussion of work, kinetic energy or potential energy. The problem itself provides tips that basically tell you how to solve it: write the n and t equations, eliminate N, and substitute into vdv = ads. At that point, you should be able to rearrange into the form dy/dx + f(x)y = g(x). That's where I'm getting stuck. I know I can use the work energy theorem, but I'd like to solve it using the book's direction.

Last edited:
I attached a picture of the situation. It is assumed that the block always stays in contact with the ramp

Attachments

• Ramp Problem.bmp
    152.6 KB · Views: 1,317
Bakeman said:
I've been going back through some of my old college texts and found this problem that I wanted to try to solve. The problem comes before any discussion of work, kinetic energy or potential energy. The problem itself provides tips that basically tell you how to solve it: write the n and t equations, eliminate N, and substitute into vdv = ads. At that point, you should be able to rearrange into the form dy/dx + f(x)y = g(x). That's where I'm getting stuck. I know I can use the work energy theorem, but I'd like to solve it using the book's direction.
That doesn't matter ... even if it came before the work energy discussion ... a physics problem can be solved in so many ways ...and i like the idea of JHamm

Bakeman said:
I attached a picture of the situation. It is assumed that the block always stays in contact with the ramp

Oops ... i thought this is the case:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42144&stc=1&d=1324571374

and "kinetic energy = work done by gravity - work done by friction" will perfectly.

and keep in mind that gravity is conservative and friction is non conservative ...

Attachments

• Ramp Problem.bmp
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,182
I understand, but I would still like to solve it according to the direction given in the problem. I'm not as interested in the answer as I am in the method that is being described in this case.

1. What is a circular ramp and how does it affect the motion of a block?

A circular ramp is a curved surface that is shaped like a circle. When a block slides down a circular ramp, it will follow a curved path due to the shape of the ramp. This curved path is called circular motion. As the block moves down the ramp, it will experience a change in speed and direction due to the forces acting on it, such as gravity and friction.

2. What is friction and how does it affect the block sliding down the circular ramp?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. When a block is sliding down a circular ramp, friction acts in the opposite direction of the block's motion, slowing it down. Friction is caused by the roughness of the surfaces in contact and can be affected by factors such as the weight of the block and the type of surface it is sliding on.

3. How does the mass of the block affect its motion down the circular ramp with friction?

The mass of the block affects its motion down the circular ramp in two ways. First, the greater the mass of the block, the greater the force of gravity acting on it, which will cause it to accelerate faster down the ramp. Second, a heavier block will experience more friction than a lighter block, causing it to slow down more as it slides down the ramp.

4. What is the role of the angle of the ramp in the motion of the block?

The angle of the ramp plays a significant role in the motion of the block. The steeper the angle of the ramp, the faster the block will accelerate due to the greater force of gravity acting on it. However, a steeper ramp also means the block will experience more friction, which will slow it down. The angle of the ramp also determines the shape and length of the path the block will take as it slides down.

5. What factors affect the amount of friction experienced by the block on the circular ramp?

The amount of friction experienced by the block on the circular ramp is affected by several factors. These include the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the block, the angle of the ramp, and the type of surface the block is sliding on. Additionally, the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces can also affect the amount of friction experienced.