Block sliding up an inclined plane

You want to know the position as a function of time, not the average velocity.In summary, we are given a problem where a block with an initial speed of 20.0m/s slides up a ramp with an incline angle of 30º. The position and velocity of the block as a function of time are requested, as well as the time it takes for the block to come to a stop and the distance it travels before coming to a stop. To solve this problem, one must consider the direction of acceleration and the force on the block in that direction. The acceleration is the force divided by the mass in that direction. The equations used to solve for the position and velocity as a function of time are the average velocity =
Kevin Smith
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data

A block with an initial speed of 20.0m/s slides up a ramp with an incline angle of 30º.

(a) (2 points) Write the position as a function of time for motion up the surface of the ramp.
(b) (2 points) Write the velocity as a function of time for motion up the surface of the ramp.
(c) (2 points) How long does it take the block to come to a stop?
(d) (2 points) How far up the ramp does it travel before coming to a stop?

Homework Equations

[/B]
Vf2 = Vi2+ 2a*d
a = Δv/t
D = 1/2at2
FH = FG * sin(α)
FGN = FG * cos(α)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My setup of the problem: http://prntscr.com/gf7262

For part (a), is the "position as a function of time" being rooted from the equation Velocity=DeltaX/Time? If so, should i be looking at DeltaX=Velocity * Time?

As for the distance portion, if I use the 1st equation and plug in -9.81m/s^2 as the acceleration, shouldn't i be able to solve?

I honestly tried. I think i bombarded my self with many useless youtube videos that make my confusion all that much more.
Anyhow, any comments/suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and good day. Cheers!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin Smith said:
For part (a), is the "position as a function of time" being rooted from the equation Velocity=DeltaX/Time? If so, should i be looking at DeltaX=Velocity * Time?
That's not a good start. Stop and think. Answer the following questions
1. In what direction is the acceleration?
2. What is the force on the block in that direction?

Once you answer these two, consider that the acceleration is force divided by mass in that direction.

Kevin Smith said:
Velocity=DeltaX/Time?
The correct form of that equation is: average velocity = displacement / elapsed time.
But average velocity is not interesting here.

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the block's motion?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the block will slide down due to the force of gravity. A shallower angle will result in slower motion.

2. What is the role of friction in the block's movement on an inclined plane?

Friction plays a significant role in the block's movement on an inclined plane. It is the force that opposes the motion of the block, causing it to slow down and eventually come to a stop. The amount of friction depends on the materials of the block and the inclined plane, as well as the weight of the block.

3. How does the weight of the block affect its motion on an inclined plane?

The weight of the block, or its mass, affects its motion on an inclined plane by determining the force of gravity acting on it. The heavier the block, the greater the force of gravity, and the faster it will slide down the inclined plane.

4. Can the block ever slide up an inclined plane?

Yes, it is possible for a block to slide up an inclined plane. However, this would only happen if an external force, such as a person pushing the block, is applied to overcome the force of gravity and friction. Additionally, the angle of the inclined plane would have to be shallow enough to allow the block to move up.

5. What factors can affect the block's motion on an inclined plane?

Aside from the angle of the inclined plane, the block's weight, friction, and any external forces acting on it can affect its motion. The surface of the inclined plane, as well as the surface of the block itself, can also play a role in determining the speed and direction of the block's movement.