Pressure Required for Fireman to Send Water 12m High | Physics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics hydrostatic problem where the question is to determine the pressure a fireman needs to use to send water at 12 meters height. The person trying to solve the problem used the proportion between the densities of water and mercury, but did not take into account the atmospheric pressure. The correct answer is 2.2 atmospheres, taking into account the atmospheric pressure and the rule of thumb that water needs 1 atmosphere of pressure to be elevated at 10 meters height.
Raffaele
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

My daughter, who attends the italian equivalent of US K9, asked me some advice about a physics hydrostatic problem.

> Which pressure (in atmospheres) a fireman must use to send water at 12
> meters height.

I tried to use the definition 76 cm of mercury is 1 atm and I made the proportion between water and mercury densities

Namely

if with a density of 13.5
atmosferic pressure raises Hg to 0.76 m then the pressure of 1 atm raises water to 13.5\times 0.76 m that is 10.26m.

Thus to arrive to 12m the pressure required is 12/10.26=1.17 atm

But the book says 2.2atm

Can you, please, explain what I did wrong?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Raffaele said:
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

My daughter, who attends the italian equivalent of US K9, asked me some advice about a physics hydrostatic problem.

> Which pressure (in atmospheres) a fireman must use to send water at 12
> meters height.

I tried to use the definition 76 cm of mercury is 1 atm and I made the proportion between water and mercury densities

Namely

if with a density of 13.5
atmosferic pressure raises Hg to 0.76 m then the pressure of 1 atm raises water to 13.5\times 0.76 m that is 10.26m.

Thus to arrive to 12m the pressure required is 12/10.26=1.17 atm

But the book says 2.2atm

Can you, please, explain what I did wrong?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

the answer is 2,2 because you must add the atmospheric pressure (1 atm) to the needed ΔP that you have already calculated.

Also, have in mind that water needs approximately 1 atm ΔP in order to be elevated at 10 m height ( this is a rule of thumb).

Likes CWatters
The equation to use is

P=hdg

Where h is height
d is the density
g is acceleration due to gravity.

Remembering to add for atmospheric pressure as Raffaele mentioned.

Likes DoItForYourself

1. What is the formula for calculating the pressure required to send water 12m high?

The formula is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure in Pascals, ρ is the density of water (1000 kg/m³), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height the water needs to be sent.

2. How much pressure is needed to send water 12m high?

Using the formula P = ρgh, we can calculate that the pressure needed is P = (1000 kg/m³) x (9.8 m/s²) x (12m) = 117,600 Pa.

3. Can you explain why pressure is needed to send water 12m high?

Pressure is needed because it is the force exerted on a certain area. In this case, the pressure is needed to overcome the force of gravity pulling the water down and to push the water up to a height of 12m.

4. What other factors may affect the pressure required to send water 12m high?

The density of the water, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height the water needs to be sent are all factors that affect the pressure required. Additionally, the efficiency of the water pump or system used to send the water may also affect the pressure needed.

5. Is the pressure required to send water 12m high different for different types of liquids?

Yes, the pressure required will vary depending on the density of the liquid. Thicker liquids, such as oil, will require more pressure to be sent to the same height compared to water. This is because the density of the liquid affects the force of gravity pulling it down.