Boat autopilot remote (question about transister choice)

In summary: I guess what its sayning that the current out is the sum of current in and since my trasistor choise has nothing to do with the currents flowing into it then the only thing that matters is whether is a NPN or PNP as long as its rated to survive the currents in the system.Yes, that is basically what it means.
pslarsen
Hi,

I'm about to build an autopilot remote for my boat, manual found here:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/ericn/Files/Other/DIY Autohelm ST4000.pdf

In the scheme I need to use two transisters, a 2N4402 (PNP) and a 2N4400 (NPN) as illustrated here:
circuit st4000.PNG

As I don't have these transisters can I use a BC337 and BC327 which is what I have. I guess what I'm asking do the specs of the transister matter? Both have emitter voltage of 5V but mine have a Continuous Collector Current of 600ma rather than 200ma on the sketch above. But in the sketch, aren't they just used to re-direct current in this case really? Does the Continuous Collector Current matter?

Kind Regards,
Peter

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Aren't the BC327 and BC337 both NPN transistors?

hutchphd said:
Aren't the BC327 and BC337 both NPN transistors?

No, the BC327 is a PNP and the other a NPN

I remember myself asking very similar question and then reading this: https://www.edn.com/design/analog/4429969/Choosing-Transistors

Borek said:
I remember myself asking very similar question and then reading this: https://www.edn.com/design/analog/4429969/Choosing-Transistors

Hi Borek

Thanks for the reference, but I don't feel that it answers my question specific to the circuit that I'm looking at.

Br, Peter

I personally don't see any reason why they should not be interchangable and I guess its only a plus that my Continuous Collector Currents are rated higher than the ones in the sketch as I suppose it means that they can handle more current without the magic smoke..

Br, Peter

pslarsen said:
Thanks for the reference, but I don't feel that it answers my question specific to the circuit that I'm looking at.

Not directly, but it explains how to choose the transistor and why in most cases - as long as you follow some simple rules - choice doesn't matter much.

Borek said:
Not directly, but it explains how to choose the transistor and why in most cases - as long as you follow some simple rules - choice doesn't matter much.

I guess what its sayning that the current out is the sum of current in and since my trasistor choise has nothing to do with the currents flowing into it then the only thing that matters is whether is a NPN or PNP as long as its rated to survive the currents in the system.

Br, Peter

If your replacement capacity is bigger you seldom get in trouble. If there is any high frequency in signal be sure to check freq response of replacement. Good luck

Many thanks

Also be careful to check the pinouts on the transistor: I think one of your list is not the "standard" EBC configuration. Be sure to check.

Ok I will

1. What is a boat autopilot remote?

A boat autopilot remote is a device used to control the steering of a boat without manual intervention. It uses sensors and a control system to maintain a set course or heading.

2. How does a boat autopilot remote work?

A boat autopilot remote works by receiving information from sensors such as GPS, compass, and wind sensors. The control system then uses this information to adjust the boat's steering, keeping it on a set course or heading.

3. What is the role of a transistor in a boat autopilot remote?

A transistor is an essential component in a boat autopilot remote as it acts as a switch to control the flow of current. It allows the control system to send signals to the boat's steering mechanism, adjusting the boat's direction.

4. How do you choose the right transistor for a boat autopilot remote?

The choice of transistor for a boat autopilot remote depends on factors such as the voltage and current requirements of the control system, as well as the type of circuit used. It is essential to select a transistor that can handle the necessary power and is compatible with the circuit design.

5. Can a boat autopilot remote be used in all types of boats?

While boat autopilot remotes can be used in most boats, it is essential to consider factors such as the size, weight, and steering mechanism of the boat. Some boats may require additional modifications to accommodate the autopilot system properly.