Bobsled Friction Problem: Finding Velocity with Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

  • Thread starter Thread starter RaiderXero
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
RaiderXero
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A bobsled (600kg) enters a straightaway at 19.2 m/s and travels 200m. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is .15, what is the velocity at the end of the straightaway?


Homework Equations


My friend asked me for help on this problem, but its been a while since I've taken physics. Can anyone point me to an equation that might help get us started?


The Attempt at a Solution


I know the force of kinetic friction will be 5880*.15= 882 and that vf^2 - vi^2 = 2a(x) is probably the equation to use, I am just lost on how to turn that kinetic friction into acceleration so I can use it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org