1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bode plot with given transfer function

1. Apr 15, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hello,

I am having serious problems being able to draw bode plots. At first the professor said to put everything into standard form with an (ω/ω_c)...and then there is also a table in the textbook with standard forms that don't all include an ω_c, and he retracted his statement. So now I am just so confused how to draw these things.

I am working on the first transfer function in the image, and with two poles at 50 and 100, I'm not sure how to represent that.

Attached Files:

• 9.1.png
      9.1.png
      File size:
      10.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2014 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

Here is what I have for my magnitude plot

I don't see anything in this table that looks like this transfer function anyway, leaving me even more confused

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1397538664.496334.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Apr 15, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your Bode gain plot needs help. But you have the right idea.

It's OK (flat) until you get to w=2, then a -20dB/decade fall from w=2 to w=10 is still OK, but then for some reason you give it a +40dB/decade rise when it should be just +20 dB. So make that correction and try again to finish the plot.

5. Apr 15, 2014 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

I would recommend you get some semi-log paper. It will make things much easier

6. Apr 15, 2014 #5

donpacino

Gold Member

To add to what Rude man said the slope is a running total

7. Apr 15, 2014 #6

Maylis

Gold Member

Should the paper be log scale on horizontal axis and linear on vertical axis? I found a website that I can print semi log paper, thanks for the suggestion

8. Apr 15, 2014 #7

donpacino

Gold Member

9. Apr 15, 2014 #8

psparky

Gold Member

The gain and frequency are both logrithmic if refering to gain. If referring to dB, then only the horizontal is logrithmic.

Keep in mind that your transfer function will give you the exact gain and phase angle for any value of omega. So if you ever get confused, start plugging in your limits for 0 and infinity to see where your gain sits. Then plug in other values of interest, the break frequencys for sure. If there is an "s" in your transfer function, simply substiture "jω" for "s" and solve for that frequency. You will always get a vector with magnitude (gain) and an angle (phase).

If you plug in 0, 2, 10, 50 and 100 and infinity for omega, you can never miss.

And if you are "guessing" with the zeros and poles....at least you can back check your guess.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted