1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bohr Quantization Rule for Angular Momentum

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    Use the Bohr quantization rules to calculate the energy levels for a harmonic oscillator, for which the energy is p²/2m + mw²r²/2; that is, the force is mw²r, where w is the classical angular freq of the oscillator. Restrict yourself to circular orbits.
    So far I have that mvr=nh\, w=v/r, and p=mv. I cannot get it into the form E=(n+1/2)h\w. Please help!

What is the analog of the Rydberg formula for 1/λ of the radiation emitted when the particle jumps from level n2 to n1?
    Not sure what it is asking.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2
    Use the Bohr quantization rules to calculate the energy levels for a harmonic oscillator, for which the energy is p²/2m + mw²r²/2; that is, the force is mw²r, where w is the classical angular freq of the oscillator. Restrict yourself to circular orbits.

So far I have that mvr=nh\, w=v/r, and p=mv. I cannot get it into the form E=(n+1/2)h\w. Please help!

What is the analog of the Rydberg formula for 1/λ of the radiation emitted when the particle jumps from level n2 to n1?
    Not sure what it is asking.

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    You're asked, I think, to write down the relation for the waveleght of radiation emitted from (or absored by) a harmonic oscillator when it transists from one state to another.

The Rydberg formula originates from the relation

[tex]
    hf= E_{n2}-E_{n1}
    [/tex]

Now insert the energy levels of the harmonic oscillator and the relation between [tex]f[/tex] and [tex]\lambda[/tex] and the answer should be obvious.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?