Boiling Water in New Saucepan Causes Puzzling Smell

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 9K views
Yeah ! lead ! that is a good idea.At least I will be immune to the radiation from nuclear blast.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally Posted by tumor:
Recently scientists annonced that inhaling aluminum can cause neurological problems(alzheimer etc)
Ah, but of course! :biggrin: Bloody aluminium saucepans... they told me this would happen... :confused: :wink: :biggrin:
 
Evo said:
Just get all of your aluminum pans re-lined with a nice even lead coating and you won't have to worry about the aluminum anymore.

:smile:

Or you can just wear them on your head. They are much more durable than aluminum foil deflector beanies, and with such a thick head covering, it's virtually impossible for the aliens to read your thoughts and steal your brain waves. :smile:
 
tumor said:
What do you think about aluminum pots and pans? I remember I cooked in one for a long time almost scraping pieces of aluminum with spoon while mixing stuff. Recently scientists annonced that inhaling aluminum can cause neurological problems(alzheimer etc)
Speculation about aluminum being a possible cause of Alzheimer's and warnings about using aluminum cookware have been around for years.

I generally stay away from aluminum cookware for other reasons.
  • they don't do well when cooking with acidic foods (tomatoes etc)
  • they don't particularly like being in the dishwasher
  • most aluminum cookware tends to be on the thin side so foods tend to burn unless you watch the heat carefully.
I *do* like anodized aluminum cookware though. it tends to be thicker, and the anodized coating is tough, durable and keeps the aluminum in the pot, not in my food.
 
Last edited:
I have a copper pan and everytime I make tomato soup in it, it gets the shiny-polished look :biggrin: the copper is on the outside, but sometimes I do see the green copperoxide on it, which isn't too healthy..