Calculate boiling rate of water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 18K views
Well I was just interested in using compost as a way to produce steam and yes I know I would have to use a pump to reduce the pressure in the chamber initially
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I know I would need an energy source to produce the initial vacuum and just curiosity I suppose, I'd like to know
 
AamsterC2 said:
I know I would need an energy source to produce the initial vacuum and just curiosity I suppose, I'd like to know
Depending on what you are doing with the steam, you may or may not need the vacuum continuously maintained:

-If you want to use this to purify water, you'll need to continuously suck away the condensed water.
-If you want to heat a house, it can naturally circulate via convection.
 
I'm not planning on purifying it so hopefully I'll only need to produce the vacuum once and keep the system closed also as a side note I've found something intriguing. Compost Power Jean Pain Mound Project Summer 2011 by anenergyoptomist on YouTube, his mound of mulch is 40 meters cubed and with the density of mulch at around 600 lbs per cubic meters is around one ton. Instead of 1000 btu/h his mound is producing 17,000 btu/h according to his measurements so in the end it looks like if I really want to figure this out I'll have to just get to it and test it
 
(1) How do you propose to make use of any steam which is generated ?

(2) Have you looked at other possible ways of extracting energy from the composting process ?
 
Oh woops, it's 24,000 but I didn't process that extra 0 on the end and thought it was only 2,400 and actually yes I have thought of another way to get energy from this process but it's much simpler so I think I'll just try testing it out first and see how it goes