Bond energy - (Force/ potential E vs interatomic separation)

In summary, during a materials lecture, the concept of repulsion and attraction forces between atoms was discussed. The process of finding E0 was also explained, involving deriving a formula and rearranging it. However, when discussing potential energies versus interatomic separation, the concept of bonding energy being the lowest point on the graph was confusing. It was later clarified that the binding energy is slightly higher due to the zero-point energy of vibration and the zero of energy is arbitrary. This means that any negative energy corresponds to an attractive interaction. The concept of potential energy being zero was also discussed, with the explanation that it is chosen as the zero point for non-interacting atoms.
vcb003104
Hey guys,

So, I was in my materials lecture today and something the lecturers and the tutors said was slightly confusing.
We were talking about the repulsion and attraction force between atoms. This is all good as I can understand how if two atoms will repel each other if they get really close and attract when close but not as close... and eventually it gets too far for the forces to do anything.

We then went on about how to find E0...
basically just derive a formula, then sub r0 and rearrange it to make it look nice.

However, we came across potential energies vs Interatomic separation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o6-7Fb33w3YXpXMUdndXdtdlk/view?usp=sharing
^ the two graphs
  • The reason that I don't understand this graph is that why is the bonding energy the lowest point of this graph?
  • When the repulsion force = attraction force (= bonding energy?), net force is 0 but where is there still energy?
  • Finally, what does it mean when potential energy = 0 (But then the force is in repulsion according to the two graphs)

I asked my tutor and he said something along the lines of that energy in this case have direction; did not fully understand what he meant.

I know that with gravitational potential energy, the higher you go, the more negative it gets. As gravity acts on things that's even infinitely far. (Therefore there is technically no 0 mgh.) What does it mean when potential energy in this context = 0 though?

Appreciate the help guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
vcb003104 said:
  • The reason that I don't understand this graph is that why is the bonding energy the lowest point of this graph?
The binding energy is slightly higher than the minimum of the potential energy curve because of the zero-point energy of vibration. So ##E_0## is not the binding energy in this graph, it's just the minimum potential energy.
vcb003104 said:
  • When the repulsion force = attraction force (= bonding energy?), net force is 0 but where is there still energy?
  • Finally, what does it mean when potential energy = 0 (But then the force is in repulsion according to the two graphs)
The zero of energy is arbitrary: physics depends only on the relative differences in energy. Here, the zero is chosen to correspond to two non-interacting atoms (infinitely separated), so any ##E<0## corresponds to an attractive interaction.

1. What is bond energy?

Bond energy, also known as bond dissociation energy, is the amount of energy required to break a chemical bond between two atoms in a molecule. It is an important concept in understanding the stability and reactivity of molecules.

2. How is bond energy related to interatomic separation?

Bond energy is directly related to interatomic separation, as it is the energy that holds atoms together in a molecule. As the distance between atoms increases, the strength of the bond decreases and the bond energy decreases.

3. What factors affect bond energy?

The strength of a chemical bond and therefore the bond energy is influenced by several factors, including the types of atoms involved, the number of bonds between them, and the presence of any electronegative atoms or lone pairs of electrons.

4. How is bond energy measured?

Bond energy is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) using techniques such as calorimetry or spectroscopy. The amount of energy required to break a bond is determined by comparing the energy of reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

5. How can bond energy be used in chemical reactions?

Bond energy can be used to predict the stability and reactivity of molecules, as well as the energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. It can also be used to calculate the enthalpy of a reaction, which is a measure of the heat energy involved in the reaction.