Bonding and electron transfers using the model of electrons as a wave

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
cavel
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
If an electron follows the quantum mechanics wave model then how does it undergo bonding?
I don't understand how electron transfer occurs in bonding with the wave model. It is simple as explained by the point model but I just don't see the other case based on electrons as a wave?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum mechanics doesn't describe things as waves, but in a way that behaves analogous to waves. (in some situations) In that analogy, the orbital of an electron can be likened to a standing wave.

I don't really know what you're talking about. Modeling electrons as classical point charges (or any other classical or semi-classical model) doesn't correctly explain atoms, much less chemical bonding.