Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boney M

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    Have any non Americans not heard of the music group Boney M? Or any American heard of Boney M?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boney_M

I was quite surprised that none of my American friends ever heard of them. Boney M was a world hit in 70s and 80s. At the bottom of the above wiki link, they give the chart positions in various countries.

I was wondering it is a difference in the music taste or poor marketing?

Another one, "Men at work" from Australia. They were a huge success in Australia, but also had a tough time entering into US market. But their masterpiece "Land down Under"
    () was a huge hit all over the world. Amazing song...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2
    My folks listened to them a little bit in the 90s. I probably wouldn't remember them if they didn't have such a cool name.

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3
    ps I'm from Canada :0

5. Jul 20, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I like some of their stuff. As catchy as it is, though, I'm a little sick of 'Rasputin'.
    I'm also in Canada.

6. Jul 20, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think they were more of a european hit.
    Germans have a very weird taste in pop music.

7. Jul 20, 2009 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm in the US and never heard of Boney M.

8. Jul 20, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I never heard of them either, and I'm pretty heavily into music. Of course, I'm not into Pop, so that might be a factor. When I was traveling a lot, Men at Work got a lot of air-play - always that same hit single, it seems. In some parts of the country, radio is a wasteland. Maine is really bad, with the exception of WKIT - Steven King's radio station that plays rock and blues. The other big stations in the state are all owned by conglomerates and are programmed remotely.

9. Jul 20, 2009 #8
    This is my favorite Boney M.
    "Never never change lovers in the middle of the night"

Don't look at the video, that's quite funny (especially the guy) compared to today's standards. But I would be surprised if you are into pop/disco music and do not like this beat.

10. Jul 20, 2009 #9
    Men at Work had a good sound to them. Always wish I could have seen them live. They have quite a few other songs which were good other than Down Under, like; Be Good Johnny, Underground, It's a Mistake, I Like To, ect.

11. Jul 20, 2009 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Few people might remember the group, but I'll bet a lot more remember Rasputin. It was quite popular.

I too am Canadian. Is that a coincidence?

12. Jul 20, 2009 #11

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

13. Jul 20, 2009 #12
    http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/09-07/daddy-cool.html

I see ...so it's not just US who don't appreciate Boney M, it's all north americans :)

14. Jul 20, 2009 #13

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Damn y'all! I'd just gotten Rasputin out of my head. There go the next 7 years...

15. Jul 21, 2009 #14
    Another Canadian here and, yes, I've heard of Boney M. And not just their mega-hit Rasputin, (that was not the 90s) but On The Rivers of Babylon too.

Also, recently, my mother complained that their newly purchased vehicle didn't come with a cassette tape player, only a CD player. Further, she owns all of her favourite music cassette tapes and not CDs. I told her to send me a list and I'd download (legally) the albums (outdated word, yes?) and burn them to CDs for her. In her list was the Happy Christmas CD by Boney M.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

(She also wanted a Zamphir CD but I couldn't find that anywhere online. Thank heavens.)

16. Jul 21, 2009 #15

S_Happens

Gold Member

I haven't heard of Boney M, and I'm certainly not going to listen to them after you refer to Land Down Under as an "amazing song." Thanks for the warning.

17. Jul 21, 2009 #16

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Cassette to MP3!
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6450_7-5020866-1.html

And if you have some vinyl lying around:
    https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP2D-Digital-Recording-System/dp/B000FB44VA

(Okay, so the last one is kinda redundant, especially if you have a stereo-out on your record player, an adapter from Radioshack, and a line-in on your audio card).

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Jul 21, 2009 #17
    I've always liked Boney M, and I'm from Norway.

19. Jul 21, 2009 #18

Danger

Gold Member

:tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook