Book about block matrix multiplication

In summary, a block matrix is a matrix that is divided into smaller matrices or "blocks" and arranged in a rectangular grid. Block matrix multiplication involves multiplying the individual blocks and arranging them in a new matrix. This method is more efficient for larger matrices and has various benefits, such as easier manipulation and faster computation. There are special rules and properties that must be followed when performing block matrix multiplication.
davi2686
I still can't find a book with properties and theorems involving block matrices multiplication to reference in my undergraduate work.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Both Howard Eves' Elementary Matrix Theory and Howard Anton's Elementary Linear Algebra(at least since 7th ed., I'm not sure about before that) both cover the conditions that need to hold on the partitions in order to multiply block matrices using the products of the respective blocks.

thank you very much, with your help I got what I wanted

Likes The Bill

1. What is a block matrix?

A block matrix is a matrix that is divided into smaller matrices or "blocks" which are arranged in a rectangular grid. This allows for easier manipulation and calculation of matrices with large dimensions.

2. What is block matrix multiplication?

Block matrix multiplication is a method of multiplying two block matrices together. It involves multiplying the individual blocks of the matrices and then arranging them in a new block matrix according to certain rules.

3. How is block matrix multiplication different from regular matrix multiplication?

Block matrix multiplication is different from regular matrix multiplication because it involves breaking down the matrices into smaller blocks and then performing the multiplication on these smaller blocks. This method is more efficient for larger matrices as it reduces the number of computations required.

4. What are the benefits of using block matrix multiplication?

There are several benefits of using block matrix multiplication. It allows for easier manipulation of large matrices, reduces the computational complexity of matrix multiplication, and can be easily parallelized for faster computation. It is also useful in various applications such as signal processing, image processing, and optimization problems.

5. Are there any special rules or properties to consider when performing block matrix multiplication?

Yes, there are certain rules and properties that must be followed when performing block matrix multiplication. For example, the dimensions of the individual blocks must be compatible for multiplication, the order of the blocks matters, and there are special rules for multiplying diagonal blocks. It is important to understand these rules and properties in order to accurately perform block matrix multiplication.