1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book for electrodynamics and relativity

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I take a second course of electrodynamics, one of the main subjects is e.d and relativity, the lecturer use Jackson as the course's textbook.
    Is there any other book which covers this subject in the same level as Jackson which is more friendly and can be used for self-study (Jackson is difficult...)

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the question has been asked before in the "science book discussions" forum, under "academic guidance" (where this thread is likely to be the next time you check in here).

4. May 31, 2010 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I recommend "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin.
    Check on it at Amazon.com

5. May 31, 2010 #4
    The book "Classical theory of Fields" by Landau and Lifschitz is also very good.

6. May 31, 2010 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

L & L is harder than Jackson.

7. May 31, 2010 #6
    Yes, but then what matters is if the student can use the book better to get at the appropriate level than Jackson. So, the student can just get the book from the library and see if things are explained in a style that the student likes better.

8. May 31, 2010 #7

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd suggest taking a look at Schwinger's electrodynamics text.

9. May 31, 2010 #8
    I second the Schwinger suggestion.

10. May 31, 2010 #9
    I would also recommend L&L but in case you don't know, it is VERY concise. When reading along with the text, one ought to have a pencil and paper at hand to work out any gaps that Landau might leave out.
    That said, Landau has a very nice way of introducing things. After introducing Special Relativity, he goes on to the action formulation of the fields which is very well done. I don't know of any other text that does it this way.

Schwinger introduces the Lagrangian density only by chapter 9 but it is a nice book to have around. It is also supposed to be a classic treatment of waveguides, seeing that was Schwinger's own work, but I haven't read that part.

I don't know about Jackson.

Why don't you look into Melia's book? https://www.amazon.com/Electrodynamics-Chicago-Lectures-Physics-Fulvio/dp/0226519589

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Jun 1, 2010 #10
    Thanks , I will try to look at this books in the library. We don't have Melia and Franklin there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook