Book for learning quantum and electronics

In summary, The conversation is about finding a basic math book to understand quantum physics and electronics. The person mentions a book called McQuarrie's Quantum Chemistry, which is recommended for those who may not have strong mathematical skills. The book also provides historical context and biographies of scientists who worked on quantum theory. The person suggests taking a look at the book to see if it meets the needs of the reader.
badri89
hi all..can anyone give me some basic math book that would enable me to understand quantum physics and electronics(semiconductors,electromagnetic theory). Perhaps a good book that starts from vector basics would do fine i think. please guide me. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have McQuarrie's Quantum Chemistry, which suited my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1891389505/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There is some overkill in there, at least for me. If you haven't got the mathematical agility usually recommended to study quantum physics, this book is for you. It's not "difficult", and it goes through every math concept very clearly. If you already are fluent in the concerned areas of mathematics, then just skip the math chapters.

I found it helpful, as a chemistry student. Its purpose is to explain, and it does it well. As a plus, the book will teach you a bit of the historical development of quantum physics. There are mini-biographies about scientists who worked on quantum theory at the beginning of each chapter.

Anyway,take a look at it, and see if it goes for you.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles behave and interact with each other, and has led to many important technological advancements, including transistors and lasers.

2. How does quantum mechanics relate to electronics?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding how electronic devices, such as transistors and computer chips, work. It explains the behavior of electrons and how they move within a conductor, which is essential for designing and optimizing electronic devices.

3. What are some key concepts covered in a book about learning quantum and electronics?

A book on quantum and electronics may cover topics such as wave-particle duality, quantum tunneling, quantum entanglement, semiconductors, and digital logic gates. It may also include practical applications and examples of how quantum mechanics is used in electronic devices.

4. Do I need a background in physics to understand a book on quantum and electronics?

While a basic understanding of physics principles can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a background in physics to understand a book on quantum and electronics. Many books cover the necessary concepts and provide explanations in a way that is accessible to non-experts.

5. Can I use a book on quantum and electronics for practical applications?

Yes, a book on quantum and electronics can be a valuable resource for those interested in pursuing a career in electronics or related fields. It can provide a solid foundation in the principles and applications of quantum mechanics, which is essential for understanding and developing electronic devices.