Learning Quantum Mechanics with Great Courses Plus

• Quantum
  • Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the website offers a variety of courses on various topics, some of which are suitable for beginners. The courses are typically level-appropriate for university-level study in the United States, and may be suitable for high school or first year university study in Australia.
Hi All

I recently joined up to the Great Courses plus:
https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/home

Mostly I do the courses on stuff I do not already feel I know reasonably well like history, philosophy, George Orwell etc. But just for the heck of it I started doing the course on Understanding The Quantum World by Professor Erica Carlson from Purdue University, who researches electronic phase transitions in quantum materials.

I was shocked how good it is. It hasn't much math, yet anyway, but already she has dispelled many common myths such that Einstein rejected probability in QM, which while a very common myth is of course not true - he accepted it eventually, but believing it incomplete and a deeper theory will explain it. There are other issues I will not mention because they are contentious with some experts here - but I agree with her view as people probably guess from my post here.

So just a post to let people know I think it's an excellent resource for people to start learning various areas, including QM, from well qualified experts.

Here is a bit of the flavour of the course:
https://nanohub.org/resources/22400

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Doc Al, berkeman and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
I've done a few of their courses (The Great Courses) and have (mostly) been impressed. I recall taking Ben Schumacher's Quantum course (some years back, when I should have been working) and thinking it was better than expected from a "pop" science course.

Likes bhobba
bhobba said:
the Great Courses plus
I scanned through the linked site looking for how much the subscription costs but I couldn't find it. How much do they charge?

I signed out. Then on the site you get the option of start free trial:
https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/home

Two options - a monthly or quarterly plan at $25.00 or $18.65 pm respectively.

Remember it covers many topics not just science but math, literature - all sorts of stuff. I would put its usual level at about first/second year university level in the US system, upper HS/first year university in the Australian system. If you home school your kids it is a must have resource IMHO because it also has a program for young learners. Here in Aus get them to do a few subjects and two courses at the credit level from the University of Open Learning, which you can cover before undertaking the course, hence making it easier when they do the course, and you are automatically into some universities to do a bachelor of arts eg
https://www.mq.edu.au/study/other-study-options/open-universities-australia

But once you complete one semester they then have a program where, providing your results are good enough, you can transfer to anything.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
I had never actually heard of this website before reading this thread. After browsing around on it for a bit I decided to sign up for the free trial. Thanks for sharing!

1. What is the format of the "Learning Quantum Mechanics" course?

The course is available through Great Courses Plus, an online learning platform that offers video lectures, course materials, and interactive quizzes. It can be accessed on a computer, tablet, or smartphone.

2. What topics are covered in the course?

The course covers the fundamentals of quantum mechanics, including wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and quantum entanglement. It also explores more advanced topics such as quantum computing and quantum teleportation.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge to take this course?

Some background in physics and mathematics is helpful, but the course is designed to be accessible to beginners. The instructor provides clear explanations and examples to help students understand the concepts.

4. Are there any hands-on activities or experiments included in the course?

Unfortunately, due to the nature of quantum mechanics, hands-on activities and experiments are not possible. However, the course does include interactive simulations and demonstrations to help students visualize and understand the concepts.

5. Can I earn a certificate or credit for completing the course?

Great Courses Plus does not offer certificates or credits for completing courses. However, the knowledge and skills gained from this course can be valuable for personal enrichment or for those pursuing a career in science or technology.