Book on Cross and Dot products

In summary, the conversation is about a book on dot and cross products that is written in the context of Maxwell's equations. The book is popular but the title and author are forgotten. The speaker was planning to lend the book to a friend but it was missing. Eventually, the book was found and it is titled "div grad curl and all that" by H. M. Schey.
Robin64
I had a book on dot and cross products, and the author presented his material in terms of Maxwell's equations. It's a popular book. Alas, I can't remember the title or author. I was going to loan it to a friend but found the book missing.

The book isn't long at all and is a paperback book.

I know I'm not offering a lot of information, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Robin64 said:
I had a book on dot and cross products, and the author presented his material in terms of Maxwell's equations. It's a popular book. Alas, I can't remember the title or author. I was going to loan it to a friend but found the book missing.

The book isn't long at all and is a paperback book.

I know I'm not offering a lot of information, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never mind. I found the book buried. It's "div grad curl and all that", by H. M. Schey.

1. What is a cross product?

A cross product, also known as a vector product, is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to create a third vector that is perpendicular to the original vectors.

2. How is a cross product different from a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that calculates the scalar product of two vectors, resulting in a single scalar value. A cross product, on the other hand, results in a vector that is perpendicular to the original vectors. Additionally, the dot product focuses on the magnitude of the vectors while the cross product focuses on the direction.

3. What is the purpose of using cross and dot products?

Cross and dot products have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate torque, determine the orientation of objects in 3D space, and solve problems involving motion and forces.

4. Can cross and dot products be applied to non-numeric data?

No, cross and dot products are mathematical operations that can only be performed on numeric data. They cannot be applied to non-numeric data such as text or images.

5. Are there any limitations to using cross and dot products?

One limitation of using cross and dot products is that they only work in three-dimensional space. They cannot be applied to higher or lower dimensions. Additionally, they may not always accurately represent real-world situations as they rely on ideal conditions and simplified models.