Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book recommendations - complex analysis

1. Dec 9, 2006 #1
    I need a book that's semi-introductory (advanced undergrad to beginning graduate level, if possible) on complex analysis, particularly one that covers power series well, but should be fairly general.

I currently have "elementary real and complex analysis" by Georgi Shilov and while it's not bad, it's not my favorite, either. Also it seems the primary focus of the book is real analysis and the complex analysis is just a side topic almost.

I am hoping perhaps for something rigourous but does not assume terribly much prerequisite knowledge, a little prior complex or real analysis perhaps.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2006 #2
    Well, Ahlfors would be the standard choice.

H. Cartan has a complex analysis book, and though I have not yet read it, one would assume that anything written by someone of that level of mathematical capability would be good.

4. Dec 9, 2006 #3
    I used Complex Variables and Applications by Brown and Churchill last year in an upper level undergraduate complex analysis class. Highly recommended

5. Dec 10, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I like "Invitation to Complex Analysis" by Ralph Boas. It's somewhat newer than either Ahlfors or Brown and Churchill.

6. Dec 10, 2006 #5
    "Visual Complex Analysis" by Tristan Needham is beautiful :tongue: Perhaps because I am more interested in the geometric aspect.

7. Dec 10, 2006 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

h. cartan's book is the best reference for the power series approach.

einar hille is also good. ahlfors is indeed standard, but not the easiest read, and not enough excercises.

my favorite is cartan, and he begins with a beautiful treatment of formal power series, almost uniquely among complex analysis books.

and it is also one of the cheapest books, being now a dover paperback.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?