Book recommendations - complex analysis

In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is looking for a book on complex analysis that is semi-introductory, covers power series well, and is fairly general. The book "Elementary Real and Complex Analysis" by Georgi Shilov is mentioned but not highly recommended. Other suggestions include "Complex Analysis" by H. Cartan, "Invitation to Complex Analysis" by Ralph Boas, "Visual Complex Analysis" by Tristan Needham, and "Formal Power Series and Linear Systems of Meromorphic Ordinary Differential Equations" by Henri Cartan. Some mention that Ahlfors is the standard choice, but not the easiest read, while others prefer Cartan's book.
jbusc
I need a book that's semi-introductory (advanced undergrad to beginning graduate level, if possible) on complex analysis, particularly one that covers power series well, but should be fairly general.

I currently have "elementary real and complex analysis" by Georgi Shilov and while it's not bad, it's not my favorite, either. Also it seems the primary focus of the book is real analysis and the complex analysis is just a side topic almost.

I am hoping perhaps for something rigourous but does not assume terribly much prerequisite knowledge, a little prior complex or real analysis perhaps.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Ahlfors would be the standard choice.

H. Cartan has a complex analysis book, and though I have not yet read it, one would assume that anything written by someone of that level of mathematical capability would be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like "Invitation to Complex Analysis" by Ralph Boas. It's somewhat newer than either Ahlfors or Brown and Churchill.

"Visual Complex Analysis" by Tristan Needham is beautiful :tongue: Perhaps because I am more interested in the geometric aspect.

h. cartan's book is the best reference for the power series approach.

einar hille is also good. ahlfors is indeed standard, but not the easiest read, and not enough excercises.

my favorite is cartan, and he begins with a beautiful treatment of formal power series, almost uniquely among complex analysis books.

and it is also one of the cheapest books, being now a dover paperback.

1. What is "complex analysis"?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex variables. It involves the application of calculus and algebra to complex numbers and their geometric representations.

2. Why is "complex analysis" important?

Complex analysis has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, signal processing, and many more. It also provides a framework for understanding and manipulating complex functions, which are essential in many areas of mathematics.

3. What are some recommended books for learning "complex analysis"?

Some popular books for learning complex analysis include "Complex Analysis" by Lars Ahlfors, "Visual Complex Analysis" by Tristan Needham, and "Complex Variables and Applications" by James Ward Brown and Ruel V. Churchill. Other highly recommended resources include online lecture notes, video lectures, and practice problems from reputable universities.

4. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to understand "complex analysis"?

Yes, a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and basic real analysis is necessary to grasp the concepts of complex analysis. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of complex numbers and their properties. However, with dedication and a good study plan, anyone can learn complex analysis.

5. Can "complex analysis" be self-taught?

Yes, it is possible to self-teach complex analysis, but it may require a significant amount of time and effort. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to use various resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems to supplement your learning. Seeking guidance from a mentor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in self-teaching complex analysis.