1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Book recommendations for Boltzmann equation

1. Oct 4, 2016 #1
    Im trying to learn transport processes and the Boltzmann transport equation. What books do you guys recommend for beginners?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2016 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Oct 4, 2016 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BR Nag: Electron Transport in Compound Semiconductors

my dissertation was on transport in anisotropic semiconductors and look for Madarasz in Phys Rev B in the mid '80's. PM me and I'll set you on the path if you want to read my thesis.....

5. Oct 5, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I love vol. X of Landau&Lifshitz. It even contains the Schwinger-Keldysh real-time formalism in a later chapter, but it also starts out from the basic classical version and is the only book which gets the detailed-balance principle right. It's not necessary for the S-matrix to be symmetric under parity and time reversal, but unitarity is sufficient. Of course, the Boltzmann equation, the H theorem etc. works also for the weak interaction, which has a unitary S-matrix but is neither P nor T invariant.

For the relativistic Boltzmann equation, a marvelous book is

C. Cercignani, G. M. Kremer, The Relativistic Boltzmann Equation: Theory and Applications, Birkhäuser Verlag 2002.

For a derivation from quantum many-body theory (non-relativistic case), using the Keldysh real-time formalism a very good (even pedagogical) treatment can be found in

P. Danielewicz, Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes I, Ann. Phys., 152 (1984), p. 239.
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0003-4916(84)90092-7 [Broken]

P. Danielewicz, Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes II. Application to Nuclear Collisions, Ann. Phys., 152 (1984), p. 305–326.
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0003-4916(84)90093-9 [Broken]

Another standard review article is

W. Botermans and R. Malfliet, Quantum transport theory of nuclear matter, Phys. Rept., 198 (1990), p. 115–194.
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0370-1573(90)90174-Z [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  6. Oct 5, 2016 #5
    Wow. Prof Nag was my professor in Institute of Radiophysics & Electronics Kolkata - a brilliant teacher.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted