Book recommendations for Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics

In summary, The person is working on their master's thesis in entropy production in non-equilibrium systems and is trying to improve their understanding of statistical physics. They are looking for a book on non-equilibrium statistical physics at an upper undergraduate or master's level and have found that Reichl's Modern Course in Statistical Physics may be a good option, but have also heard of its mistakes. They are open to other suggestions and have been recommended Balescu's "Statistical Dynamics: Matter out of equilibrium," Tuckerman's "Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Molecular Simulation," Chandler's "Modern Statistical Mechanics," and Toda, Kubo, and third author's two-volume book on equilibrium and non-equilibrium statistical mechanics.
RobTroy
Hello. I am currently working on my master's thesis in entropy production in non-equilibrium systems using stochastic methods. I am also working on boosting my understanding of statistical physics by studying many different textbooks on the subject, and on related subjects such as thermodynamics, probability theory etc.

At some point, I would like to read more into non-equilibrium statistical physics, but I am struggling to find a good book for the task. I need something that starts somewhere around upper undergraduate or masters level, and goes from there, so it's fine if it starts with equilibrium systems.

So far, from searching this forum and other areas online, I have found that Reichl's Modern Course in Statistical Physics may be a good one to go for. However, I've also read that it contains many mistakes and that it has got worse with each new edition, so that the rarer first edition is the best version.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Balescu's "Statistical Dynamics: Matter out of equilibrium" is pretty good.

This is not a book on strictly nonequilibrium stat mech but since you mentioned also just wanting to increase general knowledge... so with that being said I highly recommend the following two books. Tuckerman, Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Molecular Simulation and Chandler, Modern Statistical Mechanics.

I have not used Zwangzig myself, but you may want to look into that book.

Thank you for all the recommendations. I shall certainly look into them.

There's a two-volume book by Toda, Kubo + third author. First part is on equilibrium, second one on non-equilibrium statistical mechanics. Great graduate texts.

1. What is Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics?

Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of systems that are not in a state of thermal equilibrium. This means that the system is not in a state where all macroscopic variables, such as temperature and pressure, are constant over time.

2. What types of systems are studied in Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics?

Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics can be applied to a wide range of systems, including gases, liquids, solids, and even biological and social systems. It is particularly useful in understanding systems that are far from equilibrium, such as systems undergoing phase transitions or chemical reactions.

3. What are some recommended books for learning about Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics?

Some popular textbooks for learning about Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics include "Non-Equilibrium Statistical Mechanics" by Roderick S. MacKay and "Nonequilibrium Statistical Mechanics" by Robert Zwanzig. Other recommended books include "Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics" by J. R. Dorfman and "Non-Equilibrium Systems and Irreversible Processes" by G. Gallavotti.

4. How is Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics different from Equilibrium Statistical Physics?

Equilibrium Statistical Physics studies systems that are in thermal equilibrium, meaning that all macroscopic variables are constant over time. Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics, on the other hand, studies systems that are not in thermal equilibrium and are constantly changing. This branch of physics is more difficult to study and requires different mathematical tools and approaches.

5. What are some real-world applications of Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics?

Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics has many practical applications, including understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems such as weather patterns, stock market fluctuations, and biological systems. It is also used in engineering and materials science to develop new materials with specific properties, such as superconductors and high-strength alloys.