1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book recommendations for Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    Hello. I am currently working on my master's thesis in entropy production in non-equilibrium systems using stochastic methods. I am also working on boosting my understanding of statistical physics by studying many different textbooks on the subject, and on related subjects such as thermodynamics, probability theory etc.

At some point, I would like to read more into non-equilibrium statistical physics, but I am struggling to find a good book for the task. I need something that starts somewhere around upper undergraduate or masters level, and goes from there, so it's fine if it starts with equilibrium systems.

So far, from searching this forum and other areas online, I have found that Reichl's Modern Course in Statistical Physics may be a good one to go for. However, I've also read that it contains many mistakes and that it has got worse with each new edition, so that the rarer first edition is the best version.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Balescu's "Statistical Dynamics: Matter out of equilibrium" is pretty good.

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3
    This is not a book on strictly nonequilibrium stat mech but since you mentioned also just wanting to increase general knowledge... so with that being said I highly recommend the following two books. Tuckerman, Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Molecular Simulation and Chandler, Modern Statistical Mechanics.

I have not used Zwangzig myself, but you may want to look into that book.

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4
    Thank you for all the recommendations. I shall certainly look into them.

6. Nov 12, 2012 #5
    There's a two-volume book by Toda, Kubo + third author. First part is on equilibrium, second one on non-equilibrium statistical mechanics. Great graduate texts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook