Book stacking - how rigorous is the standard proof?

In summary, the problem of book stacking involves placing n identical books on the edge of a table in a way that maximizes their overhang. The standard solution uses induction and assumes that there is only one book at each level. However, experiments with real books may show that placing multiple books at the same level can provide stability. The proof in the given source is meant to demonstrate the use of harmonic progression, but in real life, the main cause of tumbling is the normal and weight couple.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
book stacking -- how rigorous is the standard proof?

There is a classic problem in mechanics, which is that you have n identical books, and you want to place them in a stack at the edge of a table so that they stick out as far as possible. Here is a typical, fairly careful statement of the problem with its solution: courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/fall05/ln8.pdf (see p. 7).

I tried this on the kitchen table with a stack of encyclopedias tonight, hoping to catch the interest of my daughter. I did, and she tried it herself. One thing that she did made me doubt whether the standard solution by induction is really valid. She would make a stack, see it start to tip over, and then put in another book way in back, low down, to shore it up. This violates one of the assumptions that I haven't seen explicitly stated, which is that at any given height, there is only one book.

Is it possible to find a counterexample to the standard bound by using a stack that has more than one book at the same height?

Or, alternatively, is it possible to prove that putting more than one book at the same height is never optimal?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The CM of the top n books only depends on the positions of those books.

To make a stable stack of n+1 books, you only need to support the top n books at one point, namely directly underneath its CM. Therefore, you only need one book at level n+1.

Real books are not perfectly rigid cuboids with uniform density, and if the surfaces in contact are not all horizontal planes, friction forces come into effect. Practical experiments may be misleading :smile:

The proof in that book is just to show us the application of harmonic progression.Normally in physics we also have to consider the normal from books below, which will form a couple along with the weight force acting downwards.So what your daughter did was just natural to balance the couple and prevent the stack from falling.By the way it was really an interesting application of Harmonic Progression!

AlephZero said:
The CM of the top n books only depends on the positions of those books.

To make a stable stack of n+1 books, you only need to support the top n books at one point, namely directly underneath its CM. Therefore, you only need one book at level n+1.

Real books are not perfectly rigid cuboids with uniform density, and if the surfaces in contact are not all horizontal planes, friction forces come into effect. Practical experiments may be misleading :smile:

Hi, AlephZero,

Thanks for the reply! I'm afraid this argument doesn't really convince me, though. If you assume one book per level, then the proof by induction is straightforward, because the optimal stack of n+1 must be composed of an optimal stack of n on top of the n+1-th book. This is the standard argument. But if you don't assume one book per level, then you can't necessarily assume that the optimal stack of n+1 must be composed of an optimal stack of n on top of the n+1-th book.

Ben

hello bcrowell,

Try to understand what I have told you.It doesn't matter whether friction exists,or any other real situation problem.It is normal and weight couple which causes tumbling of books and no other real life force.Though forces like friction will effect but this is the main reason.I repeat that the explanation given in the pdf file mentioned by you was just to demonstrate the use of Harmonic Progression.Just take a look at the attachment image.

Regards,
Bhaskar

Attachments

• attach-1.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 170

1. How is the standard proof for book stacking determined?

The standard proof for book stacking is determined by conducting experiments and analyzing data to determine the most stable and efficient way to stack books.

2. What factors contribute to the rigor of the standard proof for book stacking?

Factors such as the weight and size of the books, the surface they are being stacked on, and the distribution of weight within the stack all contribute to the rigor of the standard proof for book stacking.

3. How reliable is the standard proof for book stacking?

The standard proof for book stacking is considered to be very reliable, as it is based on scientific principles and has been tested and validated through numerous experiments.

4. Can the standard proof for book stacking be applied to all types of books?

The standard proof for book stacking can be applied to most types of books, but there may be certain exceptions for books that are extremely heavy or have irregular shapes.

5. Is the standard proof for book stacking constantly evolving?

Yes, the standard proof for book stacking is constantly evolving as new technologies and materials are introduced, and as scientists continue to conduct experiments and improve upon existing methods.