Books by Milton Freedman and Freidrich Hayek

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the realization of one's lack of knowledge about topics in political science and economics, particularly regarding communism. The individual asks for recommendations on material to learn about these topics and mentions reading Shaw, Milton Freedman, and Freidrich Hayek. They also mention a course by Yale and suggest watching videos from Khan Academy. Another individual suggests looking into courses from the teaching company.
WiFO215
Hi,
I've just begun to realize how woefully ignorant I am about the world in general. In specific, I find I don't know much about banks, taxes, democracy, communism, capitalism and other topics in political science and economics.
This curiosity has been kindled by reading Shaw, whose essays are fantastic, but he seems to be particularly one sided about communism. I'm guessing that anyone who writes about this stuff will tend to be biased at some stage or other. Do you folks have any recommendations on material that I could read to learn about this stuff in general? As indicated, I've already read a bit of Shaw, although it isn't much. I've picked up some books by Milton Freedman and Freidrich Hayek and hopefully will read them this summer.

I've found a course by Yale:
http://oyc.yale.edu/political-science/introduction-to-political-philosophy

Please add!

Physics news on Phys.org

Try to watch some videos of khan academy first. They don't only have science lectures, but they also teach some finance and so. I think that would be a nice introduction...

micromass said:
Try to watch some videos of khan academy first. They don't only have science lectures, but they also teach some finance and so. I think that would be a nice introduction...

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Bump! For those that might still be searching, I found just what I was looking for at the teaching company. (www.teach12.com) The courses are a tad on the expensive side but are really really good! For armchair economists like me, these are perfect.

FAQ: Books by Milton Freedman and Freidrich Hayek

What are some key ideas in books by Milton Freedman and Friedrich Hayek?

Some key ideas in books by Milton Freedman and Friedrich Hayek include the importance of free markets, individualism, and limited government intervention in economic affairs. They also emphasize the role of competition and price signals in promoting efficient resource allocation.

What is the difference between Milton Freedman and Friedrich Hayek's views on economics?

Milton Freedman and Friedrich Hayek have similar views on the importance of free markets and individualism. However, they differ in their views on the role of government intervention in the economy. Freedman believed in a more limited government role, while Hayek believed that some government intervention may be necessary to correct market failures.

How have Milton Freedman and Friedrich Hayek influenced economic policies?

Milton Freedman and Friedrich Hayek's ideas have had a significant impact on economic policies, particularly in the United States and other Western countries. Their emphasis on free markets and limited government intervention has influenced policies such as deregulation, privatization, and tax cuts.

What criticisms have been made of books by Milton Freedman and Friedrich Hayek?

Some criticisms of books by Milton Freedman and Friedrich Hayek include the lack of consideration for social and environmental factors in their economic theories, as well as the potential negative effects of unregulated free markets on marginalized populations.

What is the relevance of books by Milton Freedman and Friedrich Hayek in today's world?

The ideas presented in books by Milton Freedman and Friedrich Hayek continue to be relevant in today's world, especially in debates surrounding economic policies and government intervention. Their emphasis on individual freedom and the importance of free markets continues to shape economic thinking and policies around the world.

Back