1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books for Laplace and Fourier transforms

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1

I'm a computer science student but I'm taking electric engineering courses. One of those courses is called "System Theory and Control Theory". The course assumes knowledge of Laplace and Fourier transforms. All the electric engineers have had an analysis course that covers those topics but I haven't. Do you know any books which cover Laplace and Fourier transforms, by preference books intended for engineers?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2
    A quick easy derivation of Fourier series and transform (continuous), is "Who is Fourier: a mathematical adventure". It is cartoonish but is real easy to read and is a good derivation. A good easy intuitive book on La Place transforms is: Digital Signal Processing by Steven Smith. (it is free on the web). Look at the last chapter. Neither book will help you solve problems but you will have a good solid feel for what these important transforms really are.
  4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
    Ok thanks. I checked out Digital Signal Processing by Steven Smith and it's really great. Not too much detail but it covers a lot of stuff. Exactly what I need :-). Thanks!
  5. Feb 13, 2008 #4

Gold Member

You can also pick up a copy of Schaum's Outline of Laplace Transforms. You can also see how Laplace and Fourier transforms are applied by picking up a book relating to Signals and Systems. For this I would recommend Linear Signals and Systems by B.P Lathi.
  6. Feb 21, 2008 #5
    Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Zill and Cullen.

For deeper undersatnding into Fourier Series look up Fourier Transform and Its Applications by Ronald Bracewell
  7. Apr 2, 2008 #6
    what are the main differences between the fourier and laplace transform.and when and where we used these transformation also conditions for fourier and laplace transform
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?