Books for the Mathematics of Feynman Diagrams

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 4K views
Sunnyocean
Messages
72
Reaction score
6
Summary:: What is (are) the best book(s) to understand the mathematics of Feynman diagram?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend some books for the mathematics of Feynman diagram? (I don't mind if they also include the physics; in fact it may be better).

Ideally I would need books that are very detailed (they don't skip steps in proofs to theorems, solutions to exercises etc.) but, at the same time, they take you from the basic level to a very advanced level.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are unlikely to find one. There are many books on field theory, but likely zero that cover just Feynman diagrams.
 
I'm unaware of any books specifically dedicated to Feynman diagrams, but an entry level QFT text should have a lot of what you are looking for. I found Peskin Schroeder (An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory) very useful when studying for my masters, and still lean on it on the occasion I need to revisit such things as Feynman diagrams. The first part sets out the calculational tools required for QFT, which in this context means the formalism of Feynman diagrams.

Failing this some Universities may publish their lecture notes online for courses on QFT/QED which may be helpful in introducing and justifying the existence of Feynman diagrams.
 
Sunnyocean said:
Summary:: What is (are) the best book(s) to understand the mathematics of Feynman diagram?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend some books for the mathematics of Feynman diagram? (I don't mind if they also include the physics; in fact it may be better).

Ideally I would need books that are very detailed (they don't skip steps in proofs to theorems, solutions to exercises etc.) but, at the same time, they take you from the basic level to a very advanced level.
You're not going to like this. The Feynman diagrams represent the terms in an infinite (Dyson) series of integrals. But, the infinite series diverges(!) If you are looking for a rigorous proof of the mathematics of Feynman diagrams you'll be disappointed. The Feynman diagrams use the concept of an optimal asymptotic approximation.

As others have said, this would normally be covered in a chapter in a QFT book.

There are other techniques for summing a divergent series, such as Borel-Pade summation. This branch of applied maths includes much that can be proved rigorously (a lot was done by Stieltjes) but also results involving continued fractions and the like that appear to work but cannot be proved.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PhDeezNutz
PeroK said:
You're not going to like this. The Feynman diagrams represent the terms in an infinite (Dyson) series of integrals. But, the infinite series diverges(!) If you are looking for a rigorous proof of the mathematics of Feynman diagrams you'll be disappointed. The Feynman diagrams use the concept of an optimal asymptotic approximation.

As others have said, this would normally be covered in a chapter in a QFT book.

There are other techniques for summing a divergent series, such as Borel-Pade summation. This branch of applied maths includes much that can be proved rigorously (a lot was done by Steiltjes) but also results involving continued fractions and the like that appear to work but cannot be proved.
Being Dutch I have to correct you: it's "Stieltjes" 😋🙈

To also post something useful: I really liked the follwing notes:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1201.2714
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and PeroK
haushofer said:
Being Dutch I have to correct you: it's "Stieltjes" 😋🙈

To also post something useful: I really liked the follwing notes:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1201.2714
Thanks. I was distracted by trying to get the l-t-j in the right order!
 
PeroK said:
You're not going to like this. The Feynman diagrams represent the terms in an infinite (Dyson) series of integrals. But, the infinite series diverges(!) If you are looking for a rigorous proof of the mathematics of Feynman diagrams you'll be disappointed. The Feynman diagrams use the concept of an optimal asymptotic approximation.

As others have said, this would normally be covered in a chapter in a QFT book.

There are other techniques for summing a divergent series, such as Borel-Pade summation. This branch of applied maths includes much that can be proved rigorously (a lot was done by Stieltjes) but also results involving continued fractions and the like that appear to work but cannot be proved.
I'm interested, what branch of applied mathematics is that and what would I read to learn more?
 
AndreasC said:
I'm interested, what branch of applied mathematics is that and what would I read to learn more?
I learned it from Carl Bender's lectures on YouTube:

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PhDeezNutz and AndreasC
There are several books specialized in math and physics of Feynman diagrams:

S.M. Bilenky, Introduction to Feynman Diagrams

A. Grozin, Lectures on QED and QCD: Practical Calculation and Renormalization of One- and Multi-Loop Feynman Diagrams

V. A. Smirnov (3 books):
- Analytic Tools for Feynman Integrals
- Evaluating Feynman Integrals
- Feynman Integral Calculus

G. 't Hooft and M. Veltman, Diagrammar

M. Veltman, Diagrammatica: The Path to Feynman Diagrams

I.T. Todorov, Analytic Properties of Feynman Diagrams
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and AndreasC
There's also the book called Knots and Feynman Diagrams by Kreimer, I have this book alongsides Veltman's Diagrammatica.
Though as of yet I haven't read them.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71