Books that explain physics thoroughly?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for physics books that explain beginner concepts and their history. They mention Newton's Principa but find it too complicated and are recommended "On the Shoulders of Giants" by Stephen Hawking and some books by Feynman. They then ask for other recommendations and are given a list of books including "Thirty Years That Shook Physics" by George Gamow and "Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind. They also discuss Hawking's "On the Shoulders of Giants" and its value as a pop sci book.
A.MHF
I'm looking for physics books that explain beginner concepts, their history, and how they came to be thoroughly. I thought of Newton's mathematica but I heard it's super complicated and the notations are difficult to understand. I was recommended "On the Shoulders of the Giants" by Stephen Hawking and I think some Feynman books , but I'm not sure about them, are they worth reading? What else would you recommend?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein's written theory of relavity book

Anyone?

By Stephen Hawking there's The Grand Design, both A Brief and Briefer History of Time, and The Universe in a Nutshell.

I can also recommend Thirty Years That Shook Physics by George Gamow, Einstein by Walter Isaacson (bio of einstein), Never at Rest by Richard S Westfall (bio of Newton, very long and not totally focused on Physics), Great Physicists from Galileo to Einstein by George Gamow, The Evolution of Physics by Einstein and Leopold Infeld, and for a very broad description of the history of science, which is good for seeing Physics' relation to other fields, there's Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Niflheim said:
By Stephen Hawking there's The Grand Design, both A Brief and Briefer History of Time, and The Universe in a Nutshell.

I can also recommend Thirty Years That Shook Physics by George Gamow, Einstein by Walter Isaacson (bio of einstein), Never at Rest by Richard S Westfall (bio of Newton, very long and not totally focused on Physics), Great Physicists from Galileo to Einstein by George Gamow, The Evolution of Physics by Einstein and Leopold Infeld, and for a very broad description of the history of science, which is good for seeing Physics' relation to other fields, there's Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Thanks, I know these books, but I what I want is something that's more detailed and thorough. It's more like Newton's Principa, but explained in modern terms. I have a physics textbook but it doesn't explain the concepts very well, and there is no history of how they came to be.

What you're looking for is something like Leonard Susskind's "Theoretical Minimum".

Likes A.MHF
snatchingthepi said:
What you're looking for is something like Leonard Susskind's "Theoretical Minimum".

I've just googled it, thanks, it seems much like what I want.
I don't know if you have read it, but would you also recommend Hawking's "On Shoulders of the Giants"?

A.MHF said:
I've just googled it, thanks, it seems much like what I want.
I don't know if you have read it, but would you also recommend Hawking's "On Shoulders of the Giants"?

I would not recommend any pop sci book if you want a serious knowledge of physics.

Likes A.MHF, Niflheim and blue_leaf77
I own a copy of "On the Shoulders of Giants" and it is a great read. It obviously isn't meant as a serious academic text, but it is in fact very informative and very not popular science as it contains a collection of English translations of important papers in the history of physics. Go for it.

Likes A.MHF

1. What are some recommended books for understanding physics?

Some popular books that explain physics thoroughly include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Jim Al-Khalili.

2. Are there any books that make physics easier to understand?

Yes, there are many books that use simple language and analogies to make physics concepts easier to understand. Some examples include "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman and "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick.

3. Can I learn physics from a book without any prior knowledge?

It is possible to learn physics from a book without any prior knowledge, but it may be more challenging. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of math and science concepts before diving into a book on physics.

4. Do these books cover all areas of physics?

No, it is not possible for one book to cover all areas of physics thoroughly. However, some books may provide a comprehensive overview of various concepts and theories, while others may focus on a specific topic or branch of physics.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement these books?

Yes, there are many online resources such as videos, lectures, and interactive simulations that can supplement the information provided in these books. You can also join online forums or discussion groups to further enhance your understanding of physics.