Is this math book enough for self-studying undergrad physics?

Mathematical Tools for Physics" by James Nearing and mentions that it covers a lot of math but feels more like a reference book. He questions if it will be enough or if he should also get more specialized books to fully understand each subject. He mentions another book, "Mathematical Methods for Physics" by Arfken, that he believes is easier to learn from and covers all necessary skills. However, he also notes that books like these can be challenging to learn from as they often move quickly and use minimal descriptions. He suggests checking out the author's website for a free version of the text to see if it meets the reader's needs. In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Mathematical Tools
DuctTapePro
I'm talking about "Mathematical Tools for Physics by James Nearing".
https://www.amazon.com/dp/048648212X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

it seems it cover lots of math... but it feels like it's just a reference book..
will it be enough?
or should i get more specialized books to learn each subject thoroughly?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not read that book.

Well, besides calculus, linear algebra and probability, I would recommend methametical methods for physics by Arfken. I think this book is easy to learn and it include almost all the skills you need master.

Books like this can be difficult to learn from. To cover all relevant math in one volume, they must move quickly and keep descriptions and words to a minimum. You can try it, but there’s a reason most students take courses with a text dedicated to the subject.

Likes symbolipoint

1. Is this math book enough for self-studying undergrad physics?

It depends on the content and level of the math book. Some math books may cover the necessary topics for self-studying undergrad physics, while others may not. It is important to check the table of contents and reviews of the math book to determine if it is suitable for self-studying physics.

2. Can I use this math book for self-studying if I have no prior knowledge of physics?

It is possible to use a math book for self-studying physics without prior knowledge, but it may be more challenging. It is recommended to have at least a basic understanding of physics concepts before using a math book for self-studying.

3. Do I need to supplement this math book with other resources for self-studying undergrad physics?

It is always beneficial to use multiple resources when self-studying a subject. While a math book may cover the necessary topics for physics, it may not provide enough practice problems or explanations for certain concepts. Supplementing with other resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or practice exams can enhance the learning experience.

4. Is this math book suitable for all areas of undergrad physics?

It depends on the level of the math book and the specific areas of physics you are studying. Some math books may cover topics that are more relevant to certain areas of physics, while others may have a broader coverage. It is important to research the content of the math book and determine if it aligns with the areas of physics you are studying.

5. Can I use this math book for self-studying if I am not a strong math student?

It may be more challenging to use a math book for self-studying if you are not a strong math student. However, with dedication and perseverance, it is still possible to use a math book for self-studying undergrad physics. It is important to seek help from a tutor or utilize additional resources if needed to strengthen your understanding of the math concepts.