1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boolean Algebra Simplification Help

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A'B'C' + ABC' + A'BC + A'BC'.

The ' denotes a bar over the previous letter.

2. Relevant equations

Simplification Rules

3. The attempt at a solution

C' (A'B' + AB) + A'B(C+C')

C' (A'B' + AB) + A'B ..... or like so: A'B'C' + ABC' + A'B

Is it possible to simplify the left expression any more? Does A'B' + AB = 1? When I did the K-map I got answers of

A'C' + A'B + BC' (Although I am not entirely sure I did the K-map right because it came out like this.
    Code (Text):

AB (00)   (01)    (11)    (10)
    c(0) 1....1.....1..........
     (1)  ........1.....................
    That is the K-map of the original equation. When getting the simplified answer using the K-map am I supposed to circle EACH group of two consecutive 1's? I will arrive at the answer I got when simplifying above (A'B'C' + ABC' + A'B) if I select the top left most 1's in a group, then a group of the middle 1 and bottom 1, and then the right most 1 all by itself. If I select them in a different way (left most top 2, then middle and bottom, then middle and top right) I will get the answer of (A'C' + A'B + BC').

I am not sure which one is right and it is driving me crazy!

I would appreciate any help guys! Thanks a LOT!

The answer I arrived to also gives me the correct answer for the truth table, but it looks like it could be simplified to the above form. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2
    I THINK I figured it out, but I am not sure. I will pick up where I left off and leave it to you guys to tell me if I did it correctly.

A'B'C' + ABC' + A'B=

A'(B+B'C') + ABC' =

A'(B+C') + ABC' =

A'B + A'C' + ABC' =

B(A' + AC') + A'C' =

B(A' + C') + A'C' =

A'B + BC' + A'C'

This final answer is what I arrived to when I did the k-map. I am just not 100% sure if my methods for reaching the final answer is correct.

Thanks for any help guys!

4. Feb 3, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

What you have in A'B is an INEQUALITY function--it evaluates TRUE iff A≠B
    What you see in blue is an EQUALITY function--it is TRUE iff A=B

5. Feb 3, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

There is no need to guess or hope. You can always draw up truth tables to show whether your simplification is right or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook