Boolean Algebra Simplification Help

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the expression A'B'C' + ABC' + A'BC + A'BC' using simplification rules and a K-map. After trying different methods, the simplified answer is determined to be A'B'C' + ABC' + A'B = B(A' + C') + A'C'. The conversation also mentions the use of truth tables to confirm the correctness of the simplification.
Frankie715

Homework Statement

A'B'C' + ABC' + A'BC + A'BC'.

The ' denotes a bar over the previous letter.

Homework Equations

Simplification Rules

The Attempt at a Solution

C' (A'B' + AB) + A'B(C+C')

C' (A'B' + AB) + A'B ... or like so: A'B'C' + ABC' + A'B

Is it possible to simplify the left expression any more? Does A'B' + AB = 1? When I did the K-map I got answers of

A'C' + A'B + BC' (Although I am not entirely sure I did the K-map right because it came out like this.
Code:
AB (00)   (01)    (11)    (10)
c(0) 1...1...1...
 (1)  ...1.....

That is the K-map of the original equation. When getting the simplified answer using the K-map am I supposed to circle EACH group of two consecutive 1's? I will arrive at the answer I got when simplifying above (A'B'C' + ABC' + A'B) if I select the top left most 1's in a group, then a group of the middle 1 and bottom 1, and then the right most 1 all by itself. If I select them in a different way (left most top 2, then middle and bottom, then middle and top right) I will get the answer of (A'C' + A'B + BC').

I am not sure which one is right and it is driving me crazy!

I would appreciate any help guys! Thanks a LOT!

The answer I arrived to also gives me the correct answer for the truth table, but it looks like it could be simplified to the above form. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I THINK I figured it out, but I am not sure. I will pick up where I left off and leave it to you guys to tell me if I did it correctly.

A'B'C' + ABC' + A'B=

A'(B+B'C') + ABC' =

A'(B+C') + ABC' =

A'B + A'C' + ABC' =

B(A' + AC') + A'C' =

B(A' + C') + A'C' =

A'B + BC' + A'C'

This final answer is what I arrived to when I did the k-map. I am just not 100% sure if my methods for reaching the final answer is correct.

Thanks for any help guys!

Frankie715 said:
Z = C' (A'B' + AB) + A'B
What you have in A'B is an INEQUALITY function--it evaluates TRUE iff A≠B
What you see in blue is an EQUALITY function--it is TRUE iff A=B

There is no need to guess or hope. You can always draw up truth tables to show whether your simplification is right or not.

I understand your frustration with trying to simplify Boolean algebra expressions. It can definitely be challenging at times. First, let me clarify that A'B' + AB does indeed simplify to 1. This is known as the "complement law" in Boolean algebra.

Now, for your specific expression, A'B'C' + ABC' + A'BC + A'BC, there are a few ways you can approach simplifying it. One method is using the K-map, as you have mentioned. When using the K-map, you are correct in circling groups of two or more consecutive 1's. However, it is important to note that these groups must be in a rectangular shape, with sides that are powers of 2 (e.g. 2, 4, 8, etc.). In your K-map, the group of 1's in the top left corner cannot be circled as it is not a rectangle.

Another method for simplifying Boolean algebra expressions is using the laws and rules of Boolean algebra. In this case, you can use the "distributive law" to rewrite the expression as A'B'(C' + C) + A'B(C + C') + A'BC. Since C + C' is equivalent to 1, this simplifies further to A'B' + A'B + A'BC, which can then be further simplified to A'B + A'BC.

I hope this helps clarify the process for simplifying Boolean algebra expressions. Remember to always check your work and make sure your final expression is equivalent to the original expression. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is Boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra is a mathematical system used to represent logical statements and operations. It was developed by mathematician George Boole in the 19th century and is widely used in computer science and electronics.

2. Why is simplification important in Boolean algebra?

Simplification in Boolean algebra is important because it allows us to reduce complex logical statements into simpler, equivalent forms. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the logic behind a given expression.

3. How do I simplify a Boolean expression?

To simplify a Boolean expression, you can use a variety of techniques such as the laws of Boolean algebra, truth tables, and Karnaugh maps. These methods involve systematically manipulating the expression to reduce it to its simplest form.

4. What are the common laws of Boolean algebra used for simplification?

Some common laws of Boolean algebra used for simplification include the commutative, associative, distributive, and De Morgan's laws. These laws help us to manipulate the logical operations of AND, OR, and NOT to simplify expressions.

5. Why is Boolean algebra simplification useful?

Boolean algebra simplification is useful because it allows us to reduce complex logical statements into a more manageable form. This can help us to identify and eliminate errors in logic, optimize circuits and programs, and improve efficiency in problem-solving.