Boolean algebra -Sum of products form - theorem

In summary, to prove that A'BD' + BCD + ABC' + AB'D = A'BD' + BCD + ABC' + AB'D + BC'D' + A'BC + ABD, we can use the distributive property to manipulate the right hand side and make it look like the left hand side. This will help with cancellations and simplification. It is also helpful to create a list of properties and theorems for Boolean Algebra to refer to while solving the problem.
icelated

Homework Statement

Show the following is true using theorems. State which theorem you use at each step.

A'BD' + BCD + ABC' + AB'D = A'BD' + BCD + ABC' + AB'D + BC'D' + A'BC + ABD

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very new to boolean algebra and very confused. This is a digital logic course for software engineering students. I don't know where to begin. Working on the left side first would i need to expand it to make sure that every sum of product has the same amount of variables? Or, should i just try to combine like variables and work it out? Should i work with all the terms before the = like: ( A'BD' + BCD + ABC' + AB'D) and pull out a like term like A?

I just don't understand how to do this. Looking at the different theorems in the book don't help any. Can you give me some steps on how to solve this? Maybe, help me work out the first sum of products?(before the = ) than i can see how its done so i can finish the rest of it. I learn by example.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, the best way to go about solving this problem is to put together a list of all the things that you can do with Boolean Algebra. When you have a properties list, it'll be a lot easier to manipulate and simplify. Here's a site that'll help you make your list. http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Projects/Labview/boolalgebra/
The way I solved this was to use the distributive property on the right hand side first. It'll help with the cancellations. You want to make the right side look like the left side. Try this first.

What is Boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra is a mathematical system that deals with binary variables and logical operations, such as AND, OR, and NOT. It is used to analyze and simplify logical expressions and circuits.

What is the sum of products form in Boolean algebra?

The sum of products form is a way of representing a logical expression as the sum of multiple products. It is denoted by Σ and is used to simplify complex expressions into a more manageable form.

How is the sum of products form used in Boolean algebra?

The sum of products form is used to simplify logical expressions and circuits in Boolean algebra. It involves breaking down a logical expression into its constituent parts and then combining them using the OR operation.

What is the theorem in Boolean algebra?

The theorem in Boolean algebra refers to a set of rules and laws that govern the manipulation of logical expressions. These theorems are used to simplify expressions and to prove the equivalence of different expressions.

How can the theorem be applied in Boolean algebra?

The theorem in Boolean algebra can be applied to simplify complex expressions, to prove the equivalence of different expressions, and to design efficient logical circuits. It is an essential tool for working with Boolean algebra and is used extensively in digital logic design.