Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boost generator transforms as vector under rotations

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I've read quite a few times now in group theory and QFT books that [tex] [X_i,Y_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}Y_k[/tex] can be regarded as saying that [tex] \vec{Y} [/tex], the vector of boost generators transforms as a vector under rotations (where X are SO(3) generators).

I don't really understand why this implies this fact, perhaps some could enlighten me.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the definition in quantum mechanics for a vector operator ?

4. Sep 7, 2010 #3
    Well I'm guessing this is it, but I don't really understand why.

5. Sep 7, 2010 #4
    A 3-vector is a set of three quantities that transform correctly under rotations. In a Hilbert space the unitary rotation operators are

[tex]U(R)=1+i\mathbf{a}\mathbf{J}[/tex]

where J is the total angular momentum and R is a clockwise rotation of angle |a| around the a/|a| direction. A vector operator Y transforms like

[tex]U(R)\mathbf{Y}U^\dagger(R)=R\mathbf{Y}[/tex]

If you expand this in first order taylor series (i.e. if you consider infinitesimal rotations), you'll find the commutation relations you mentioned.

6. Sep 9, 2010 #5
    Thanks alot, that has cleared it up for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook