Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bound and Free Charge in conductor and dielectric

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    I am reading an electrodynamics book to grasp the concept of bound and free charge, esp in conductor and dielectric. I got lost with the text on the book. Can anyone please help me understand the concept well?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I bet some people here could help... what specific questions do you have?

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

A free charge can move in response to an externally supplied force while a bound charge cannot.

5. Nov 20, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Free charges are free to move about the entire medium, while bound charges are restricted to moving in small 'loops' around whichever molecule/ atom they are bound to.

6. Nov 20, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a bit more detail, click free charge for the PF Library item :smile:

7. Nov 21, 2008 #6
    thanks

in case of a wire carrying a certain amount of charge, say Q, which is insulated by a insulator (dielectric), I read that the bound charge on the outer surface and inner surface of the insulator is equal to each other in magnitude. But I could not derive it myself. My approach was to use Guass's law for D, but i did not get what enclosed free charge was. In such a case, how does the equation [tex]\rho[/tex] = [tex]\rho[/tex]b + [tex]\rho[/tex]f hold true?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?