Bound and Free Charge in conductor and dielectric

• Thread starter FourierX
  • Start date
I am reading an electrodynamics book to grasp the concept of bound and free charge, esp in conductor and dielectric. I got lost with the text on the book. Can anyone please help me understand the concept well?

Answers and Replies

jtbell
Mentor
I bet some people here could help... what specific questions do you have?

Likes gracy
Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
A free charge can move in response to an externally supplied force while a bound charge cannot.

Likes gracy
gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Free charges are free to move about the entire medium, while bound charges are restricted to moving in small 'loops' around whichever molecule/ atom they are bound to.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Free charges are free to move about the entire medium, while bound charges are restricted to moving in small 'loops' around whichever molecule/ atom they are bound to.

For a bit more detail, click free charge for the PF Library item :smile:

thanks

in case of a wire carrying a certain amount of charge, say Q, which is insulated by a insulator (dielectric), I read that the bound charge on the outer surface and inner surface of the insulator is equal to each other in magnitude. But I could not derive it myself. My approach was to use Guass's law for D, but i did not get what enclosed free charge was. In such a case, how does the equation [tex]\rho[/tex] = [tex]\rho[/tex]b + [tex]\rho[/tex]f hold true?