1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bound charge inside and outside a dielectric

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A conducting wire of length a and charge density lambda is embedded inside a dielectric cylinder of radius b. To Show: a) Bound charge on the outer surface is equal in magnitude to the bound charge inside the surface.
    b) volume density of bound charge is 0 in the dielectric.
    c) what is the net charge along the axis?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated D and E outside the dielectric which came out to be
    D = lambda/(2*pi*s) along axial (s) direction
    E = lambda/(2*epsilon_0*pi*s) along axial (s) direction
    Using Gauss's Law I found out free charge enclosed and total charge enclosed using D and E. Then subtracting free charge from the total charge, I got the total bound charge enclosed, which came out to be 0. I don't know if it make sense or not. I need help in understanding the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

I think I know what I am supposed to do conceptually but still I don't know how to write down everything in a systematic and scientific way. So, the bound charge enclosed came out to be 0 outside the cylinder. To satisfy this case, the bound charge inside the surface should be equal to the bound charge outside the surface.

For the third part of the question, E inside the dielectric will be lambda/(2*epsilon_0*epsilon_r*pi*s) along axial (s) direction
    So, if we use Gauss's law, then we will get q enclosed to be lambda * l/epsilon_r, therefore charge per unit length will be lambda/epsilon_r

i don't know about the third part of the question. would anyone please help me with this problem? thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?